Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Gratitude Journal

I recently started keeping a gratitude journal as a way of trying to keep a positive attitude.  It is so important to stay positive and think about our blessings these days with depressing stories on the news, a flailing economy and those friends on social media who do nothing but complain about how bad they have it.  You know the people I'm talking about.  A lot of people, myself included, are sponges and tend to "soak in" the attitudes of those around them and, in turn, develop those attitudes themselves.  I have found that if I surround myself with negative things, I tend to get stuck in the same negative rut, both emotionally and physically.  Since this is the case, wouldn't the opposite work the same?  If we surround ourselves with positive things, will that make our lives better?

I thought it was worth a try.




I had purchased this beautiful purple ombre journal several years ago from Barnes and Noble.  I'm a sucker for pretty stationary supplies and butterflies, so when I saw this, I couldn't pass it up.  This beauty had been sitting on my bookshelf waiting for the "perfect" reason to write in it.  I didn't want to mess it up with scribbled notes or something I didn't plan to keep long term and nothing seemed to be good enough to pull this baby out and start using it.

When I started contemplating the idea of a gratitude journal, I looked around online to see if I could find a suitable undated book to fit the bill.  I didn't want to get strapped in to having to write in it every day unless I was inspired to.  I couldn't find anything that stood out until I went into my office and realized I already had such a book!


I've been writing in the journal for several weeks now and I really feel like I'm a) better recognizing the blessings in my life, and b) staying more positive because I have so many things to be thankful for.  I'm so glad I decided to keep this journal and recommend you try it if you want a little more positivity in your life.

Some keys to making your gratitude journal work best for you:

  • Quality over quantity.  Choose to write details about specific things you are grateful for rather than just listing a whole bunch.
  • Don't just think "things" you're grateful for, think "people" or "events".
  • Don't force yourself to write every day.  You don't want a journal filled up with generic words - you want those words to mean something.
  • Think about things you weren't expecting.  If you find a five dollar bill on the sidewalk and it bought your coffee this morning rather than having to charge it - that's something to be grateful for!
  • Don't know how to start?  Think about what your life would be like WITHOUT certain blessings.  It will help you discover what you appreciate in life.
Do you keep a gratitude journal?  What kind of tips can you share about making your journal work for you?

The post Thankful Thursday - A Gratitude Journal first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

Until next time,

No comments:

D