Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Wrap Bracelet Tutorial

One of my favorite hobbies is making jewelry.  I've been making bracelets, necklaces and earrings for over ten years. It started when my husband and I were in a jewelry store getting my engagement ring inspected and cleaned when we saw this beautiful necklace that was several strands of gold seed beads and a Venetian glass pendant.  The price on the necklace was over $800!  I looked at my hubby and said, "I can make that for less than 20 bucks" and I did.  I found very similar supplies in my local Michaels store and completed my necklace in less than a day.  Since then, I've loved the craft.  I've even sold quite a few pieces to friends and family.

Today, I'm going to show you how to make one of my favorite styles of bracelets - the wrap bracelet. I don't know about you, but fiddling with a clasp with one hand to get the standard bracelet on is a pain in the you-know-what.  It's also difficult to find bracelets that fit my wrist well - either they are too big and roll down my hand, or they are too small and "choke" my wrist all day long.  While I do make standard bracelets with the clasp, my favorites are ones that just wrap around your wrist and fit any size.




The supply list for this project is as follows:
  • Memory wire (I used the kind intended for necklaces so I could have extra wire for other projects)
  • Head pins for making your pendants at each end of your bracelet
  • Round nose pliers
  • Side cutting tool or wire cutters
  • Two different types of beads.  I used two sizes of fresh water pearls found here and here.
  • Decorative spacers - the celtic ones I used aren't available on the website, but here are similar ones.
If you are new to jewelry making, you'll want to learn how to make a loop with wire and your round nose pliers.  Here is a great tutorial video from Fire Mountain Gems:



After you've practiced making loops with wire, you'll want to decide how long you want your bracelet to be.  My bracelet is two wraps around my wrist.  The easiest way to get your measurement is to wrap a measuring tape around your wrist several times, then add a few inches.  The extra wire is to allow for the bracelet to move around your wrist and also give you some space to finish the ends.  You can always cut it if you make it too long initially.

Cut your wire and make a loop in one end.  You'll be hanging a pendant from this loop later.  Start stranding your beads on your wire in whatever pattern you want.  I started with a small pearl, one of my celtic spacer beads, a few more small pearls, then a larger pearl and loosely followed that pattern until the end of the bracelet.  Make sure you leave at least half an inch at the end for your finishing loop.

Once your last loop is done, wrap the bracelet around your wrist to make sure you like the fit and length.  If not, now is the time to unroll the loop and fix it, either by rearranging some beads or removing some and trimming the wire to make it shorter.


Now, you are going to make your pendants.  Using one of your head beads, strand on a few of your beads.  I used a small pearl then another of my spacer beads.  Make a loop just like the video above instructs, except just before you close it off, slip it through the loop in the end of your bracelet.  Make another pendant for the other end of your bracelet.  They don't have to be identical - your bracelet is handmade and one of a kind!


Ta-da!  You're done!  Now that you know how simple it is to make your own jewelry, you'll have a lot of fun trying new projects and making your own versions of expensive pieces in the jewelry stores.


Here is another bracelet I made using beautiful iridescent pearls and silver tube beads:


I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial.  I'd love to see your beautiful creations.  You can share them on Instagram using the hashtag #slhwblog.

The post Work It Wednesday - A Wrap Bracelet first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

This post was not sponsored by Michaels or any of the product manufacturers listed above.  I'm just sharing what I used  for my bracelet or similar products.

Until next time,

6 comments:

  1. I love pearls! They are always in style. Amiright? Thank you for sharing at the Caffeinated Crafters Link Party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Pearls are my favorite because you can dress them up or down, depending on your outfit. Thank you so much for the comment! ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!!! I love this bracelet and pearls! Thanks for sharing! Have a look on my last post I have a butterfly giveaway :)
    Have a fabulous day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. You have a very nice blog. Are those butterflies all hand-worked wire? They are beautiful! I haven't had the patience for that much intricate wire work yet. Hope to sit down and focus and get some practice in soon! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh this is beautiful! My daughter has started to become interested in making jewelry and so it something I am starting to try and learn. Thanks for linking up to The Creative Exchange Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Summer. This is my first jewelry tutorial post here on the blog and I've had a great response. I'll definitely be sharing more like it in the future! :)

      Delete