Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Listening to Your Body

I have not had the best week when it comes to my health and I'm disappointed because I wasn't able to finish my #fitbyfourth challenge.  My Addison's is flaring up really bad and I've been dealing with severe joint pain, chronic fatigue (I'm sleeping about 20 hours a day), headaches, inflammation in my chest and lungs as well as in my mouth - think a tooth ache in your entire mouth.  To put it in layman's terms, I feel like death.

Whether you are suffering from a chronic illness or just a seasonal cold or the flu, how do you know when it's time to stop "pushing through it" and let your body have a day (or week) off?  This is something I've struggled with over the last few years since my diagnosis.  Before I started to really develop some of the more recognizable symptoms of Addison's Disease years before I was diagnosed, I would have periods (usually 3-5 days) where I felt run down and really tired.  My joints would hurt and I had an overall feeling of being unwell.  I was overweight at the time and I used to push myself to get moving, saying to myself, "You're overweight - that's why your joints hurt or that's why you're so tired..."  I have realized only recently that pushing yourself is the exact opposite of what your body wants and needs.

We all have days when we are being lazy or feel a little under the weather and would rather not get up and work out, but if you are truly sick, you have to listen to your body and let it take over.  I find that making myself a cup of hot tea and laying low in comfy clothes is usually what I need to feel better.


I typically skip my workouts when I'm having a bad week like this one has been.  If I'm just suffering from a cold but don't feel well enough to do my normal fitness routines, I follow along with a restorative yoga class like this one from Kripalu.

It's taken me a long time to come to the realization that my body knows how to run itself.  That feeling of being run down should be a light bulb going off in our heads that we need to slow down or even stop and give our bodies some time to repair themselves.

Do you put your fitness routine on hold when you are feeling sick?  What do you do to restore and let your body heal?

The post Tone Up Tuesday - Listening to Your Body first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

No comments:

D