For the last fifteen days, I've been reading in a new devotional book called Be the Message Devotional - A 30-Day Adventure in Changing the World Around You by Kerry and Chris Shook. This book is geared towards Christians who are interested in reading the Scripture and understanding it's purpose in the time it was written as well as today and applying it to your lives.
Because this is a 30-day devotional, each chapter is one day. The days are set up in several sections:
- open yourself (the theme of the daily reading)
- open God's word (the scripture reading)
- open your mind (understanding the message when it was written and present day)
- open your heart (quiet reflection on the reading with a space to write your thoughts)
- open your life (speaking to God about what he wants for your life with a space to reflect)
- open your arms (a passage on how you can be a disciple and bring the message to others)
The Scripture in this book is from the New International Version of the Holy Bible, but you could look up the verses in any version you enjoy reading from. Although it isn't necessary, I keep my Bible with the book and do some additional reading while going through the daily devotion.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who needs to deepen their understanding and relationship with God. The only thing that could make this book better for me, is if it were longer. I would love a full year of reading like this, but I would settle for three months.
Be the Message Devotional - A 30-Day Adventure in Changing the World Around You is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.