Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Girls Rocking 2015!

If you've followed my weight loss journey here on the blog, you know that I've never been a skinny girl and I am an advocate for women finding their happy spot, and being confident, no matter what size or shape that is.



For so many years, women have been pummeled with ads of super-skinny models wearing designer clothes that would never truly fit the average woman.  At one time, size eight was classified as "plus size".

Well, times are a changin' ladies!  Last summer, I began noticing some pretty big health and beauty companies and other organizations that are pushing a positive self-esteem and self-love campaign and they are gearing it towards young girls and women everywhere.  This isn't a new concept.  Dove has been partnering with the Girl Scouts since 2002 and more companies are catching on.

image source link no longer active
Dove is also responsible for the Campaign for Real Beauty which launched in 2004.  The premise behind this program was to show that women of any age, size and color are beautiful and even featured models that didn't fit society's idea of modelesque.

image source
Dove's most recent ad features girls talking about why they hate their curly hair and are encouraged by women to love their curls because their hair makes them special.  (video link)


Pantene launched the Not Sorry campaign early last summer which showed women apologizing, even when they've done nothing wrong.  They promote confidence by showing the same women being assertive and self-assured rather than apologizing. (video link)


The Confidence Coalition features the You Make Me Smile campaign, where a group of women write encouraging messages on blue balloons and hand them to random women they pass. (video link)


Always recently launched Like A Girl, which was a featured ad during this year's Super Bowl.  This commercial asks teenage girls to "run like a girl, throw like a girl, fight like a girl" then asks young girls the same questions.  The difference in their reactions is shocking but very telling. (video link)


New York City is now running a program call The Girls Project, where they hang posters in public areas in hopes of encouraging girls 7-12 years old and raising their self esteem.

I'm encouraged by the campaigns these companies have put forth, but still my heart aches because I know there is not enough talking going on about girls' low self esteem and lack of self love.  Girls are growing up hating themselves because of something they were told when they were young or because they dislike the way they look.  How many of these stories are ending tragically just because our society has set the bar for beauty so unreasonably high that it cannot be reached?

This is why Simple Life, Happy Wife will be featuring a series called Girls Rocking 2015!  Here, we will discuss subjects like negative thoughts and how to change them; the mean girl dilemna and why we need to stop talking about each other, as well as talk about mentoring young girls and what "beautiful" really means.


I know that I can't change the world myself and this is why I am hoping you will join me in my endeavor to encourage women to live healthy and happy lives.  Please make sure you are subscribed and following me on social media because this is where I am going to ask for your input and update you on the Girls Rocking 2015! campaign.  Thank you for your support and participation!

The post Girls Rocking 2015! first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  *This is not a sponsored post.  A Simpler Grace is, in no way, affiliated with any of the companies and organization featured above. These are just ad campaigns I was inspired by and wanted to share with you.*  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and I would love to join you in your #girlsrocking2015 campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love this. I've always struggled with my weight and it's been a challenge with the media promoting skinny girls all the time. I love that campaigns have been taking a different approach to loving and promoting all kinds of healthy body types.

    Also, I LOVE book clubs! I'm going to join yours right now, if that's okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breanna, thanks so much for your sweet comment! I'd love your help in spreading encouragement to girls everywhere. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know - it's awesome to see real girls in ad campaigns and I hope more companies catch on! I'm so excited that you've joined my book club. Welcome and thanks for your sweet words, Chelsie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need more and more campaigns and movements that let young girls know that they don't need to change anything about who they are to be liked by the world. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for you comment Alyssa! I agree that we need more of a movement to show girls they are perfect just the way they are. I'm trying to do my part to bring this issue to the forefront in my circle and I'm excited so many blogging friends are into it too!

    ReplyDelete