Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Vegan Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

Vegan Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies - A Simpler Grace #vegan #cookies #recipe
I received a free @Earth_Balance product from #Influenter to test and review.  As always, my opinions are genuine and my own.

I've been interested in trying my hand at creating a recipe and featuring it on the blog for quite a while, so when I received a free tub of Earth Balance vegan, non-GMO, "buttery" spread, I was instantly inspired to create a cookie that incorporated some of my favorite ingredients - cinnamon and oats.



I'll tell you, I believe that nothing tastes like good ol' butter in baking and I was nervous to try this product.  Most "buttery spreads" tend to be hard and dense and taste more like car wax than a food product, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one.  It spread easily on toast and tasted similar to butter with no chemical taste.  I decided to move forward with the recipe.

I spent an entire snowy day in the kitchen measuring ingredients, testing, eating and measuring more ingredients before I got the recipe exactly how I wanted it.  Here is what I came up with.


Ingredients
1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery spread
1 & 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp table salt
1 & 1/4 cup white sugar
2 tbsp. un-sulphured molasses
4 tbsp. water
2 tsp. vegetable oil
4 tsp. baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups old fashioned oats

{Because this recipe is vegan, I have used the water, vegetable oil and baking powder mixture in place of eggs.  If you want to use eggs when making this recipe, use 2 large eggs and omit these ingredients.}

Preheat your oven to 350°.

In a mixing bowl, beat together your buttery spread, cinnamon, table salt, white sugar and molasses until you get a creamy mixture.  Add your water, oil and baking powder (or eggs) and beat until combined with your mixture.  Then alternate mixing in your flour and oats.

Your dough should look wet, but hold it's shape when you drop 1-ounce portions on your baking sheet.  If your dough is too wet, mix in an additional 2 tbsp of flour until it's consistency is as described above and if your dough is too dry, you can mix in 2 tbsp of water.

Bake your cookies for 9-11 minutes, depending on your oven and altitude.  When they are done, the cookies will still look wet in the middle, but the edges will have a golden color.  Let them sit for a few moments before moving them to a cooling rack.  Makes about 4 dozen cookies.


These cookies give you the chewiness of an oatmeal cookie with the spice of holiday cinnamon flavor and are great with a cup of chai!  (Baker's note:  because this recipe doesn't involve eggs, you can safely eat the dough right out of the bowl!  Enjoy!)


Using the Earth Balance buttery spread in this recipe was a great call.  The taste and texture was very much like butter with the added bonus of it being vegan and GMO-free.  I would purchase this product for my vegan recipes in the future!

The post  Vegan Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies - An Earth Balance Buttery Spread Review first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  *I received the product ( #EarthBalanceSpreads) featured in this post courtesy of @Influenster for testing purposes and review.  I was not cash compensated or required to give a positive review.  As always, all opinions are genuinely my own.  For more info on these types of posts, please click the Terms of Use tab above.*  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried many vegan recipes, but these sound delicious! I'm thinking about how amazing would they be with coffee!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum! These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, they make awesome dunkers in coffee or tea. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so good! If I could pass a plate around to my internet friends, I would totally offer you one and a hot beverage of your choice. Thanks for coming by, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies look delicious! I've seen this Earth Balance spread at the store, and have wondered how good it was. I'm tempted to buy it next shopping trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised with the taste of the Earth Balance. I usually only use butter in my baking, so the bar was set pretty high. Thanks so much for coming by the blog!

    ReplyDelete