Monday, March 23, 2015

Lighten Up, Y'all by Virginia Willis - A Book Review

I love cooking.  Even more, I love cooking for my husband.  Lorne grew up on southern food.  Not just fried chicken, but collard greens with hot sauce and chitlens - the whole deal.  So when I was offered a free copy of Lighten Up, Y'all by Virginia Willis for review, I jumped at the chance.



In this cookbook, Virginia Willis shares classic southern recipes, with a lighter twist.  Instead of the food being deep-fried in bacon fat and loaded with butter, she substitutes the ingredients and the cooking method to take off some of the calories and fat grams.  Genius if you ask me.

As soon as I opened the shipping box, I started flipping through the book and was impressed at the expanse of southern food.  Willis includes main dishes in poultry, beef, pork and lamb as well as seafood and shellfish.  She shares recipes for sides, baked goods, soups and stews and desserts.


Not too many mainstream "southern" cookbooks have recipes like Smokey Seafood Étouffée or Bacon-Wilted Greens with Warm Pecan-Crusted Goat Cheese.  Think five star southern, cajun and creole dishes coming out of your kitchen with the help of this book.




There are detailed, full-page color photos on every third page of the book, and let me tell you, it's hard to choose which recipe to make first!  Everything looks so tasty and each recipe has very clear, simple-to-follow instructions.  



Let's talk for a second about the cure for a sweet tooth.  How do Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies sound?  I'm telling you, this is THE cookbook to own.





I hope you enjoyed a little peek inside Lighten Up, Y'all from Virginia Willis.  You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.




The post Lighten Up, Y'all by Virginia Willis - A Book Review first appeared on A Simpler Grace  *I received the book featured in this post for free, courtesy of Blogging for Books.  I was not cash compensated or required to give a positive review.  As always, all opinions are genuinely my own.  For more info on these types of posts, please click the Terms of Use tab above.*  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

No comments:

D