Tuesday, April 07, 2015

The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden by Karen Newcomb - A Book Review

From the time I was in junior high and my parents had a tiny strip along the side of my childhood home full of pepper, squash and tomato plants, I have loved vegetable gardening.  There is something wonderful about the feeling I get when I go out to pick fresh produce from the seeds I've sown just weeks before.  After I married my husband, also a lover of growing food, we had containers full of peppers, carrots, string beans and fresh herbs on the small patio at our apartment.  Now that we live in a single family home with a decent sized yard, I plan to expand my gardening expertise. For this reason, I was super excited to have the chance to review The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden by Karen Newcomb.



Friends, if you are interested in vegetable gardening but don't know where to start, this is a one-stop resource for you. Whether you'd like to start small in containers or plot out a large, raised garden box, this book will give you step-by-step instructions.

The guide begins by providing a seasonal planting and harvesting schedule and sample garden plots, including sharing which plants compliment each other with the nutrients they need and .  There are chapters focused on soil composition, watering, composting and several sections dedicated to a closer look at the varieties of vegetables you can have in your garden.


One of my favorite parts of The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden is at the very end, in the chapter titled "Pests".  In this section, you will learn the specifics about garden pests and what kind of damage they cause to different types of plants. There is also information on how to get rid of said pests without using contemporary harmful pesticides.

I don't know if we'll get our garden going this year or just take our time planning next season's but you can bet we will not make a step without the use of The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden!

The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

The Post The Postage Stamp Vegetable Garden by Karen Newcomb - A Book Review first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  *I received the book featured in this post for free, courtesy of Blogging for Books.  I was not cash compensated or required to give a positive review.  As always, all opinions are genuinely my own.  For more info on these types of posts, please click the Terms of Use tab above.*  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends.

No comments:

D