Monday, May 11, 2015

Dear Me | A Letter to My 16 Year Old Self #DearMe

Dear Me (A Letter to My 16 Year Old Self) #DearMe - A Simpler Grace


I don't get caught up in a lot of blogging/vlogging fads, but there is one that started going around a few months ago that I couldn't pass up.  It is called "Dear Me" and it is based on the book by the same name in which people share letters to their sixteen-year-old selves.  Somehow, a challenge was started for writers, bloggers and vloggers to share their letters on their respective home base sites.

This is mine.


Dear Me,

There will come a time when you will look back on your life and wonder if you've made the right choices, taken the correct path, nurtured enough relationships... done enough.  I am here to tell you that you haven't.  But you can still make a difference.

When it comes to your beauty, wear sunscreen.  Wear it every day.  You'll be sorry in a few years if you don't.  Don't visit that tanning bed.  I know it's cool and all your friends are doing it, but in less than ten years, you will have no fewer than a dozen scars to prove the damage it's done to you.

Don't be so nervous in social situations.  Don't care what people think of you.  Just be yourself.  Your life will be all the better for it.

Speaking of your social life, skip that boyfriend.  You'll know who he is.  Don't ever settle for someone who doesn't treat you well.  Be patient.  Wait a little longer and the right one will come.

Learn to say "no", but don't be afraid to say "yes".

Don't spend too much time weighing the big choices in life.  Your intuition is killer.  Go with it.  It won't lead you astray.

There is a trend called yoga.  It hasn't become popular yet, but find out about it and get into it.  Down the road, you will have to deal with a crippling disease and maybe you can head it off.  Or at least prevent the symptoms for a little while.

Drink more water.  Heck, drink only water.  And cut out the sugar too.

Hug your family members.  Spend time with them.  Tell them you love them.  A handful of them will be gone in a few years and you don't want to regret a single moment lost.

Talk to God more... and not just when you need something.  Thank Him for what He has provided you.  Spend time reading His word.  Try to understand what He wants for you.

Don't compare yourself to others.  Comparison is the thief of joy.  Life is a journey, not a competition.  There is only one of you and you are good enough.

Go with the flow.  Don't be anxious about the future.  You have no idea what's coming around the corner.  On that note, don't stress about the past.  It's over and you can't change a single thing.  Live in the moment.  Take advantage of those things you know you'll never get to do again and enjoy them. You can't get that time back, so make it worth it.

Don't hang on to anger.  Take a deep breath and let it go.  Holding a grudge is only hurting you.

Stop holding your breath.  That is an ugly habit you still won't break twenty years down the line.

Be happy in your skin.  Don't worry about your imperfections.  Be confident.  Stressing over this will only take away from what really matters.

Don't be so hard on yourself.  You will never get it right all the time.  Mistakes don't define you. Forget about the times you didn't get it right and move on.  There will be plenty of people who judge you in life. Don't be one of them.

Spend more time with your close friends.  Get to know them.  Only a precious few will stick around and if you're lucky, they will be around during your darkest hours.

Don't over-analyze things.  It will only drive you nuts.

Volunteer more.  Get out there and make a difference in the world.  Take good care of other people and you will be much happier in life.

There will never be a right time to do things, so jump now.  When the aha moment strikes, make the leap.  Sure, sometimes you won't make the safety net, but you'll never know until you try.

Take good care of yourself.  Be gentle and don't focus on the negative.  You will  have many ups and downs in life.  Enjoy the ups, but don't fear the downs.  You. Are. Going. To. Be. Okay.

Love,
Yourself in 2015

The post Dear Me (A Letter to my 16 Year Old Self) first appeared on A Simpler Grace. This was not a sponsored post.  If you found this article helpful, don't forget to share it with your friends!

21 comments:

  1. +1 to the sunscreen thing! My mom had always told me that. Also, learning to say no. That's so valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunscreen is so important! Perhaps there should be a "Life Lessons" class in all high schools, but I probably wouldn't have paid attention anyway. These are all lessons learned through life experiences. Thanks so much for stopping by Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can DEFINITELY relate to the letting go of anger thing. So true and so important. A great letter to yourself! I did something similar and linked up with The Circle over at http://www.initstimeblog.com/p/the-circle-monthly-link-up.html :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! There are so many things I wish I could have told my 16 year old self. Maybe I would have made some better choices. Or maybe even worried less, and lived more. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, yes to the anger thing! In my experience, I've held a grudge and the other person had moved on long before. I was only hurting myself. I will definitely hop over and read your post! Thanks for coming by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, coulda, woulda, shoulda, right? My only hope is that some younger people read this and it is thought provoking to them and they can make some changes to live a fuller life. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leanne | The Transplanted SoutMay 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM

    I don't usually do writing prompt things, but I may have to do this too. Hindsight is 20/20 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leanne, so true about hindsight. :) It is interesting to think about what you could tell the teenage version of yourself. Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazingly enough, I'm in my 20's and still needed to hear everything you said in this! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leanne, so true about hindsight. :) It is interesting to think about what you could tell the teenage version of yourself. Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope, I'm so glad this spoke to you. Thanks for stopping by to read and leave your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great letter. I have not heard of this book nor the writing challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zan, I hadn't either until a YouTuber I follow posted a letter on her channel. I've thought about doing something similar for a while and was excited when I found out there was an actual purpose behind it. Thanks for stopping by to read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet! It's always great to reflect on how much you've grown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! There are so many things I wish I could tell my 16 year old self, about friends and life and relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brittany, yes, this was a fun (and enlightening) post to write. Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessica, yeah I really wish I had one of those Back to the Future moments when I was 16. Could have saved myself a whole lot of trouble. Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is deep! All of these are true! I believe in reflecting on life to see how far I have come. It's also serves as a reminder about some of the things you still need to do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darla, I thought it would be a fun post when I decided to write it, but once I got into it, I realized it was more of a deep, self-reflection than anything. Thanks for coming by to read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! There are so many things I wish I could give my 16 year old self a heads up about!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you liked the post Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete