Monday, August 03, 2015

One Month of Essential Oils

One Month of Essential Oils - A Simpler Grace

While the decision to use essential oils is a very personal one, this article is not intended to "prescribe" oils for any specific medical condition.  Doterra essential oils are not regulated or approved by the FDA to treat or cure any disease or medical condition.  The oils I share in this article are ones that I feel have given me relief from certain conditions and side effects.  I was not prompted or compensated by Doterra to share my thoughts on their products.  As always, all opinions are my own.

If you have lived in North American and some parts of Europe over the past several years, chances are, you have heard about essential oils.  I'm not here to sell you oils or to pressure you to sell them yourself, I'm simply here to share my month-long trial and experience with them.

In March of this year, when I put together my list of 101 in 1001 days list, I decided to make it my goal to try essential oils for a full month and write about what I thought at the end of the experience. Luckily, my mother happens to sell Doterra products, so I was able to try them at no cost.

I started with some basic oils to make sure I didn't have some strange reaction like I am known to have with new products from time to time.  Those first few days, I put lemon oil on the bottoms of my feet in the morning and lavender oil on my wrists at night.  Using the lemon oil made me feel a bit more invigorated in the morning, whereas prior to using it, I had trouble waking up and getting in the game.  The lavender oil helped me relax and get ready for bed and I found that I slept much sounder and stayed asleep through the night.

Once I was confident that I wasn't going to have a reaction from these oils, I started to use more of them.  Both peppermint oil and the DigestZen blend help ease stomach upset and I found that if I use the two together on my lower stomach, I had a lot of relief from those lovely menstrual cramps. In addition to these two, I used the Deep Blue blend on my lower back to help with the back pain that comes along with my monthly cycle.  

Because I nanny for my niece who is in kindergarten, I am always using On Guard blend for it's healthy immune supporting properties.  It also protects against environmental threats and cleanses the skin, so any germs my niece may bring home from school doesn't start an epidemic in the family.

One of the most amazing oils I use is one that has been used for thousands of years - Frankincense.  If you remember the story of Jesus' birth, Frankincense was one of the gifts the three kings brought him that night in Bethlehem.  There are so many uses for this wonder oil, but I use it as a wound "healer" because it promotes cellular health and builds and maintains healthy immune function.  A bonus to using this oil is that it smells amazing!  Just a dab of it on your wrists acts as a perfume all day long.

The last two oils I use on a daily basis are for my emotional health.  I apply Elevation blend (along with lemon oil) on the bottoms of my feet every morning to elevate my mood.  As someone who has struggled with depression and anxiety for the greater portion of my life, yet was unable to take prescription medication to treat it, this is a God-send.  Elevation gives me a boost whenever I apply it, but doesn't leave me feeling "buzzed" like many anti-depressants can do.  On the other hand, if I'm feeling overly anxious and need to try to calm my mind, I use Serenity blend.  Known for it's calming and relaxing properties, this oil is just what I need to take a step back and "chill" out for a bit.  I typically diffuse this oil in the evenings when I'm doing my night-time yoga routine.

So that, in a nutshell, is my daily routine using my new Doterra essential oils.  I have used them for over a month now and I am in love with everything I touch!  I can't wait to try some new oils and add my favorites to my routine.  

Have you ever tried essential oils?  Which oils do you enjoy using the best?

The post One Month of Essential Oils first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

No comments:

D