Tuesday, December 29, 2015

One Little Word | 2016

One Little Word | 2016 - A Simpler Grace
Today, I'm doing a little recap on my One Little Word for 2015 and sharing my word for 2016, along with the goals that come along with that word.  

When I sat down to choose my One Little Word last January, I really felt led to the word, "LEARN". I can't say for sure why, but it was stuck in my mind and any other word I debated just didn't measure up.
It was, indeed, a year for learning.  I had no idea what my near future would hold, but writing that post last January must have been a plea directly to God to teach me some hard lessons and He did.  I had several goals I wanted to achieve for the year and while I did accomplish many of them, a few were just not as important when I started to go through some drastic life changes.  I do hope to tackle these in the future, now that things have started to settle down.  
Here are the goals I set for myself for 2015 in conjunction with the word I chose:
  • Listen, not just hear. 
  • Read/journal the Bible in one year
  • Learn to be patient
  • Lean on God and stop worrying
  • Manage work time better
  • Learn to crochet
  • Learn to say "no" (sometimes)
This year was a big opportunity to learn to listen better, learn to be patient, and lean on God and stop worrying.  These were probably the big three.  I went through a very difficult separation from my husband of eleven years this year and expect the divorce to be finalized in a few weeks.  For anyone who has gone through this grueling process, you know how you have to take a look at your life and the things you might not be doing right.

You evaluate the things that are important to you and recalculate accordingly.  Because of this life change, I had no choice but to be patient, listen for God's voice and to lean on Him for understanding. I still have no answers for why this happened to my family, but I know that I am so much better off having gone through it than where I was before.  

Two of my other goals, learning to say "no" and managing work time better were things I worked on throughout the year, but still feel I need some work in.  I went through a major rebranding of the blog and my social media accounts this year and this really motivated me to stay on top of posting articles here on A Simpler Grace several times a week and it even helped me manage my daily chores better. I also had several opportunities to say "no" when I felt like saying "yes" wasn't in my best interest.  I stuck to my guns a good bit, but still recognize some areas I could have been firmer.  These are things I'll continue to work on in 2016.

The last two goals really didn't get accomplished in 2015.  It was just too difficult to sit down and put any effort into the more creative goals because my head and heart just weren't into it.  I do plan to tackle these goals in the coming year.


EVOLVE
In case you missed the big header image at the top of this post, I can now say that my One Little Word for 2016 is "EVOLVE".  

With all the life changes I have gone through in the last year, I have come to realize that I am not the girl I was in 2015.  I've changed spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically and because of this, I need to evolve as a person.  I look at it sort of like a caterpillar going through the process of metamorphosis and turning into a butterfly.  In 2015, I was the caterpillar, and through the year, I spun my little cocoon and am patiently awaiting my debut as a beautiful butterfly.  

Because of the theme of the year, I am not going to set specific goals, rather I want to try to be a better person in general.  I want to be healthier, happier, kinder to others and to use the gifts God gave me for His glory.  I want to make more time for my family and friends, more time to be creative and pursue the things that bring me joy.  I want to be more comfortable in my skin, stop comparing myself and my work to others and take better care of myself, both physically and emotionally.  

My one hope is that with the loving help of my tribe and inspiration from the amazing creatives I surround myself with daily, I will make it through 2016 and come out the other side a better person.

Have you chosen One Little Word for 2016?  I'd love to hear what yours is or if you have set some specific goals for the new year!

The post One Little Word | 2016 first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

13 comments:

  1. My word is Nourish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great word Jennifer! Thanks for coming by and sharing with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word evolve as a goal for the year! Mine this year is cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer DarlingtonDecember 31, 2015 at 2:29 PM

    Have a great year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherish is a fantastic word to guide your year! Hope you have a wonderful new year, Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your hard lessons in 2015, but it sounds as though you are using them to grow, learn and EVOLVE! I have not yet chosen a word for this year, and I'm not sure if I will, but last year my word was abide. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful word for this year! My word this year is focus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't ever chosen a word of the year. But after reading about so many people doing it, I might have to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice for your word of the year! Mine is positivity. Making a life change, a mentality one, to try to start being more optimistic and not so much pessimistic. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always try to keep a positive attitude, even when life throws some pretty tough curve balls. I love the word "abide" - such a great ideal to aim for during the year! Julie, thanks so much for stopping by today and for leaving your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie, "focus" is a GOOD one!! Thank you for taking the time to stop by to read the post and for leaving your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burgh, I'm so glad you were inspired by this post! Choosing a word as an ideal for the year has always suited me better than setting a whole list of resolutions that I'll likely forget after the first few weeks. You should give it a try! Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Positivity" is a GREAT word, Kimberly! Thanks for stopping by to read the post and leave your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete