Thursday, April 14, 2016

Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies | With Country Crock

Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies | With Country Crock - A Simpler Grace - My thoughts after using Country Crock spread in a chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I received a product featured in this post for free, courtesy of Influenster and Shedd's Spread Country Crock.  I was not cash compensated or required to give a positive review.  As always, all opinions are my own.  For more info on these types of posts, please visit the Terms of Use tab above. #MakeItYours

Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies, right?  They are one of my favorites, so I was very excited to be chosen to work on this campaign featuring Country Crock's Make It Yours cookie recipe.  The idea behind the #MakeItYours tag is a basic cookie recipe and you add your own mix-ins.  These can be anything you want from chocolate chips and marshmallows to bacon with a maple glaze.  You can make the cookies your own by adding ingredients to suit your taste.


The recipe was very easy to follow and can be fun for kids to put together and add their own mix-ins.

Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies (using the Country Crock Make it Yours recipe)
prep time: 15 minutes
bake time:  10-12 minutes at 375°

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Country Crock
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips (optional - add your own mix-ins as desired)
Preheat your oven to 375°.  Mix Country Crock, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a large bowl until well mixed.  Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until well blended.  (Dough will be soft and creamy)  Add your favorite mix-ins.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls on ungreased baking sheets 3 inches apart.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges are lightly golden.  Cool one minute on a wire rack and remove from sheets to cool completely.  

One thing to note about using the Country Crock is that is was super easy to scoop out and measure. Now, I am a sworn believer in using real butter in baking recipes, so I was a little disappointed that the Country Crock didn't bake as well as the butter I'm used to.  My cookies came out looking a bit more rustic than the ones advertised on the Country Crock website and literature I received and I don't know why.  I followed the recipe to a T.  

The cookies tasted good, but since I'm such a butter snob, I think I'll stick with the real thing from this point on.  It's nice to know that in a pinch, I can use Country Crock in baking recipes.  Overall, it was fun to make this recipe and have the option to add in whatever ingredients sounded good to me - even though I stuck with traditional chocolate chip - and I would try this recipe again in the future.

Have you ever used a butter substitute in baking recipes?  What did you think?


The post Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies | With Country Crock first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

No comments:

D