Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Bible Journaling with Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life

Bible Journaling with Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life - A Simpler Grace

Good morning, friends and happy Wednesday!  Today, I have my sweet friend Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life here to share with you one of her recent Bible journaling pages and the process she went through to achieve it.  Please join me in welcoming her and I really hope you are blessed by what she has to share with us today!

-------

Hello friends, I'm so honored to be here today - thanks, Lecy, for having me!!!

Lecy and I have both recently gotten into Bible Journaling and we thought it might be fun to share some ideas with you.

I had a really hard time beginning - just knowing HOW or WHERE to begin was my biggest problem. And then knowing WHAT to do. I'm sure you've seen the immaculate, gorgeous pages that Illustrated Faith has posted.

Amen!! Amen, amen, amen!! #Repost @kristenwolbach ・・・ When we find ourselves in John 4, we often times find ourselves in familiar territory. A story heard many times, and consequently, the longest conversation we read between Jesus and another person in the bible. Here we see Jesus asking for his physical thirst to be met by the Samaritan Woman, all so that He could quench her spiritual thirst forever. Just like this woman, we all have thirsts. Things we are longing for, and some we don't even realize are there. The beauty of their encounter is just as lovely for you and I. We see the grace Jesus intends to show. Messy grace..... Pointing out our flawed nature, our lawbreaking mentality, not so we realize how wretched we are, but to see how badly we need Him. How the thirst we really feel deep within our soul can only be satisfied by this glorious merciful Christ. Like the Samaritan woman we are given the opportunity to confront our true selves, receive God's grace, and go out to share that good news with others. If you need to be filled, or find yourself with a longing nothing else can satisfy, cry out to the giver of living water. He will never leave you running dry. #john4 #illustratedfaith #journalingbible #biblejournaling #artworship #hillsong
A photo posted by Illustrated Faith (@illustratedfaith) on

It can be a little intimidating to begin. I made a fun little printable that you can use to guide you into your journaling time!


<click to download>
I recently was introduced to the SOAP study method. It consists of Scripture: read it & write it so you retain it; Observation: look at what is in the passage, who is it addressing/referring to; Application: how can you use it in your own life?; and Prayer: if it's a passage that can be prayed, pray it, otherwise pray that you would be granted what the passage is talking about.

When I read a passage, I like to illustrate the words that speak to me from it.


It really can be as simple as that. If you are less of a writing/penmanship artist and more of a scrapbooking artist, you can definitely apply the same thing, I love Marine Parents's way of doing her Bible:


You can also illustrate and write your prayer in the margin instead of illustrating the scripture or application.

Another idea is to highlight or illustrate the theme of the passage. This is one of my favorites that I've done in that style:


I still put words in (because I'm not totally confident in my drawing and illustrating capabilities) so I gave the page a "feel" by lightly tinting the whole page and adding a few birds through the top.

What are your favorite ways to do Bible Journaling? I'd love to hear them - leave a comment and tell us about your experience!!!


Kayla has been married to her husband, Andrew for almost 7 years, they have three boys - 5, 3 & 1. They have moved four times over the course of their marriage which is where the title of Kayla's blog, the Accidental Nomad Life sprung from. Kayla blogs frequently as her stay-at-home job; she loves photography, graphic design, and anything crafty and DIY. Kayla has a heart for sharing her story and encouraging people - making the social media life less perfect.

Find out more about Kayla on her blog The Accidental Nomad Life.


-------

Kayla, thank you so much for sharing your journaling process with us!  It was very inspirational and now I want to jump into my Bible and work on a few pages!  

The post Bible Journaling with Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

12 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a lot of readers who love Bible Journaling. I love it too. I have put a journal on my Christmas wish list. I hope you will share this post with my readers at : http://maryanderingcreatively.com/lets-talk-blog-series/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post with great tips. I tried once to do a bible journal but wasn't very successful:( Ive been wanting to try again thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! What a darling and sweet perspective too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Gina! :) Glad to have you here with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading, Alex! One thing to keep in mind is that there is no wrong way to do a journaling Bible! God has gifted us all differently in artistic ways, find your specialty and tap into that! :) Overall it's just a great way to connect with God in a more intimate way. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for reading, Mary! Kristin Schmucker has a few great ones for sale if you need an idea of where to find one! http://kristinschmuckershop.com/collections/bibles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne @ The FitlySpoken WordMay 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM

    I haven't started Bible journaling yet, but I want to try. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I agree with Kayla! Kristin Schmucker has some lovely (and unique) journaling Bibles and you can catch some great prices on her website. One idea I share with those just starting out is to get a plan sketchbook to journal in until you get your Bible. That way, you get lots of practice in and always have a place to sketch out ideas before doing the page in your Bible. Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Alex, don't let a "not-perfect" journal page discourage you from trying again. The important thing to remember is to use your creativity to express what's on your heart. Hope you give it another go! Thanks for stopping by the blog today! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gina, I agree. Kayla did a lovely job on this post! Thanks for stopping by to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting, it's a really amazing way to connect to Jesus. Be sure to utilize the download that we have for you here!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried Bible journalling yet, but the more I see it, the more I want to try :) Where can I find a good Bible for journalling? One that won't curl the pages. And do you have any suggestions for paints or pencils?

    ReplyDelete