Wednesday, June 22, 2016

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 1

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 1 - A Simpler Grace - A conversation over coffee #coffeedates


If  you and I had coffee today...

We'd meet up at this great little Italian cafe just outside the city. We would order espresso and maybe a slice of crostata after lingering a bit too long at the pastry counter. We would find a little table by the window so we could look out onto the street and watch the passers-by.

If you and I had coffee today...

I'd bring you some of the gorgeous cream standard roses that are growing in the front garden - they are too pretty not to share - and I'd ask if you are growing anything at home and how you were faring. I'd tell you about my little vegetable and herb container garden and how the only thing thriving right now are the pepper plants. Ten different types of plants and only one is still alive. 

If you and I had coffee today...

I'd tell about those times I feel like a failure (like the container garden). It is so difficult to keep up with the lofty goals I set and I'm really hard on myself when I don't meet them. I'd ask what you do to combat those feelings when it seems like you can't do anything right. We'd talk about giving ourselves grace in the moments we aren't our best and how, sometimes, that is downright hard to do. 

If you and I had coffee today...

I'd ask you what you were passionate about and how you figured out what those things were. I'd tell you that I have a passion for making things with my hands, whether that is food or art or music. I'd also tell you how I love to make others feel good about themselves. There is so much negativity in the world and it's easy to get dragged down in all that muck, so lifting someone's spirits and making them feel like they are worth it is always something I strive to do.

If you and I had coffee today...

I'd ask what you were currently reading. We'd talk about favorite authors and genres and I'd ask what your favorite summertime read is and why you'd recommend it. I'd sheepishly admit to you that I still frequent the library and borrow a stack of books at a time and I'd also confess that I love the smell of old library books almost as much as I love the stories themselves. We'd laugh at how much of a nerd I was, but then you'd admit you really like the smell too.

If you and I had coffee today...

We'd sit around long after the last drop was gone then take a lazy stroll and check out the little shops that lined the street. We'd talk about our plans for the rest of the week and debate whether we'd get any pool time in or if the coming streak of bad weather would hinder that. As we reluctantly make our way back, we'd set a date for next month. This time, you'll pick the spot.

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 1 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time for me! Lets do it haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great read! It was as if I was looking in on this very intimate moment. It could have been anyone: a best friend, a lover, a lover turned friend, an old acquaintance, a new flame. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great day. I'd love to have coffee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's!! Are virtual coffee dates a thing? If not, maybe we can make them a thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sarah! I like to keep the "date" part open so anyone can get a little something from the conversation. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be so fun Sandy! Thanks for coming by to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great read! I love how real it felt as though I was there picking out crostata and sipping espresso with you while laughing at your love for the way old library books smell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love posts like this. And it sounds like we'd have a lot of fun things to talk about if we had coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I bet we had a great time too! Thanks for stopping by to read and say hello!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I think we would! Thanks for reading and leaving your sweet comment, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. if we had coffee, i'd thank you for those pretty flowers, i love fresh flowers :) and i will tell you to read Padma Laksmi's book if you get a chance....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dixya, I love fresh flowers too and Padma Lakshmi is one of my favorite people on earth! I didn't know she had a new book out, but will have to check that out as soon as possible. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those flowers sound so pretty. I love making art, but also through dance. I'd love to exchange some books...love reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shann, dance is a great way to express yourself. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was really beautiful. If you and I had coffee, we would be chatting and laughing until the cafe has to kick us out.

    La Belle Sirene

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the simplicity, yet elegance of your writing. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Victoria. Your comment made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete