Monday, June 27, 2016

Simple Gratitude | 35

Today I'm sharing my #gratefulheart on the blog #gratitude #feelingthankful




Friends, it's been a tough week. My state is suffering from one of the largest natural disasters in a really long time with the flooding that swept through the lower part of West Virginia, devastating Greenbrier County and surrounding areas. At least twenty-four people are dead, with many more still missing and the chaos that is ensuing from over thirty-thousand power outages, roads having been completely washed away and the lack of food, water and supplies all hindering continued search and rescue efforts. My brother is down there and while we have heard from him and he is safe, it is heartbreaking to think how many others won't get that call from their loved ones.

These were blue collar people. West Virginia is a blue collar state and it's been amazing to see individuals, small businesses, and churches gather together to take care of their own. So many groups from my own area have been collecting supplies and financial contributions and are driving them down to the affected areas. They are taking time out of their lives, closing down their businesses and driving five-to-seven hours, one way, to deliver aid.

Too often, in disasters such as this one, people donate a few bucks when prompted to and then forget about those affected. The people of West Virginia don't do that. When one of us is hurting, the whole state hurts. Even though I did not become a resident until junior high, today I am proud to be a mountaineer.

This week, I'm grateful for:
  • The mountain state, because you'll never find kinder, harder-working people than in gosh-darn West Virginia. To help the disaster relief, you can text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. You can also call 1-800-RED-CROSS or visit redcross.org for information on how you can be involved.
  • The safety of my brother and the thousands of others who are alive and safe in this terrible event. It could have been so much worse and I am grateful that the casualties aren't higher.
  • Clarity. I recently overheard a friend say, "Sometimes making the right decision for later, is hard now." and that couldn't be more spot-on. It is difficult to say 'no' to what you want right now when you know it won't be good for you in the long-run. And we aren't talking about a burrito, friends. I am grateful for the clarity to know when it's time to let go of something that I want so badly but will only bring me heartache down the road.
  • Days by the pool with my tribe. We ate. We drank. We swam and we caught frogs. These days are golden.
  • Some fun opportunities for the future. This little blog has grown so quickly and continues to do so and I am getting to the point where I am settling in. I've had a lot of wonderful opportunities over the last few months and there are so many more to come this summer. Stay tuned...

What are you grateful for today?

The post Simple Gratitude | 35 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

4 comments:

  1. I went to medical school in Greenbrier County and actually just left there on Friday morning. Definitely agreed that people there are some of the kindest people I've ever met. I'm glad your brother is okay! Sending lots of love and warm thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Farrah, what a small world. I hope any friends/loved ones you still have in the area are ok. Thank you for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! I think there are so many things we can find to be grateful for each day if we sit back and see them. I am grateful for other bloggers this week and love reading others experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is true, Tahnee. Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete