Saturday, July 02, 2016

Hello July | Goals

Hello July | Goals - A Simpler Grace - A monthly series tracking the goals I've set both in my personal and blogging life.
Oh friends, I am needing all the grace while writing today's post. I set some pretty lofty goals for myself last month, and in my defense, I didn't know what kind of a month it would be. It was, indeed, a difficult one and a lot of my goals went untouched. It would be easy to feel like a failure, but I'm being gentle and reminding myself that these are not life or death goals. These posts are supposed to be fun while still keeping me accountable for the things I wish to accomplish here on the blog and in life, but fun, all the same. With that being said, let's get this over with. #sadface

My goals for June. Let's see how I did...
  • Complete the Whole30 program I started the month out with good intentions and managed to get through the first ten days of Whole30, but then something strange happened. My body started going into shock. I am really sensitive to extreme change and while I do think the principle of Whole30 is awesome, I'll likely need to cut out the various food groups over a longer period of time. Stopping grains, legumes and dairy, which are three big staples in my vegetarian diet, simultaneously, was a bit too much and caused my immune system to freak out and I'm still recovering from that. Looking forward, I am going back to my normal clean and gluten-free diet and will discontinue the Whole30 no-no food groups at a slower pace to see if I can adjust easier.
  • Handwrite one note or card for a friend Written, but not yet mailed. This week, though...
  • Stick to my editorial calendar for the month With the exception of going on a blog black-out the week of the tragedy in Orlando, I did keep to my blog calendar. 
  • Complete the scarf I'm knitting To be perfectly honest, I didn't even think about the darn scarf until I sat down to write this post. As I mentioned last month, I will pack this project away until the fall when I will likely be in the mood to knit more. The scarf will get done this year. #markmywords
  • Do yoga every day for a month Yes and no. There were some days last month I dealt with some pretty severe pain and on those days, all I could manage was some light stretching. Not really considered yoga, but it was something other than lying in bed. I'm counting this as a win.
  • Devote two hours a week to something creative Nope. The month was so hectic I didn't get much of a chance to do anything creative. I'm kind of bummed because I know that expressing myself artistically does a lot for my emotionally and physically too. I will try harder in July.
  • Read eight books from my reading challenges This is one goal I smashed. I managed to read fourteen books in June, thanks to several days I spent in bed under the weather. The grand total in my 100 books goal is... (drum roll, please) seventy-two!
  • Complete the June section from my Bible-in-a-year plan Done and on to July!
  • Develop three recipes for a cookbook draft Once again, I didn't get a chance to do a whole lot of anything , including recipe development. I did manage to sit down and write out some recipe sketches, though, so I have a better idea of the specific types of dishes I want to share.
  • Try a new craft of DIY project from Pinterest Eh! Try again...
  • Do family portraits for my sister and kids This one I didn't do, but it wasn't because I didn't want to. My sister just found out in the last few weeks that they will be moving to a new home, so they have been busy with all the logistics and didn't get a chance to get a date scheduled for family portraits. Perhaps we will do these later this summer or early fall when things settle down for them.
  • Read sixty articles I've pinned on Pinterest Yes! I read a lot more, actually. I'm working hard to get through my "to-read" secret board on Pinterest and pin the good articles on my public boards. One of these days, I will have read all those "pin now, read later" articles I've saved over the last five years.
  • Complete five Bible journaling entries No, and I'm really bummed about this. I am scheduling some time to do more Bible journaling for the month of July. I figure if it is blocked out in my calendar, I will have the time to do it. Keep up with my progress on my Instagram.
  • Finish the blog tweaks I've planned This seems like a never-ending project, but I did tackle a few big items on my blog list. One major thing was to completely overhaul my bio page and that is done! I might add a few photos over the next few months, but the text is complete and that is checked off my list. The other items were minor housekeeping things like adding responsive social media icons and cleaning up some coding messiness.
And my goals for July...
  • Eat clean and gluten-free all month
  • Handwrite one note or card for a friend
  • Stick to my editorial calendar for the month
  • Do yoga every day for a month
  • Devote two hours a week to something creative
  • Read eight books from my reading challenges
  • Complete the July section from my Bible-in-a-year plan
  • Develop two recipes for a cookbook draft
  • Guest post on another blog
  • Try a new craft or DIY project from Pinterest
  • Read sixty articles I've pinned on Pinterest
  • Complete four Bible journaling entries
  • Finish the blog tweaks I've planned
What goals did you set for yourself this month? 

The post Hello July | Goals first appeared on A Simpler Grace.  If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

4 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with Whole 30! I could barely keep any food down for almost three weeks, so I had to quit early. I was so surprised because so many people reported feeling a surge of energy after the first few days. I'm planning on trying again sometime this year and just cutting things out slowly like you mentioned too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachelle, that's really interesting that you had the same kind of reaction. I've heard from a few others they had problems too. I guess some of us are more sensitive to drastic changes in diet. I hope you have better luck when you try again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, your reading record makes me look like a slacker. haha!! I've read 66 books this year--my family does not at all understand my love for keeping my nose in a book. :P I am trying to emphasize being creative this year--I realized last year, which was more 'survival' focused in a sense...creativity is not worth cutting out, it's something that helps me thrive, so I've allowed myself to be more creative this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Rachel! 66 is a lot of books - especially if you work or go to school. I have trouble with insomnia, so I do most of my reading at night when I should be asleep. You are so right about creativity. Even though, on the surface, it does take time away from other things that might seem important, being able to express yourself creatively is so vital.

    ReplyDelete