Wednesday, July 27, 2016

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 2

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 2 - A Simpler Grace - A conversation over coffee #coffeedates



If  you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up in a little hipster joint with hand-lettered chalkboard menus and mini white lights strung in the windows. We'd choose a quiet booth in the back corner and order coffee prepared in a french press tableside.

If you and I had coffee...

You'd laugh at me as I reach into my purse and grab a packet of hot chocolate mix and slowly stir it into my coffee - the only way I like my brew. Then you'd giggle and ask me if I have some whipped cream in my bag too.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I've been thinking a lot about rejection and how much it sucks to feel like you're always on the outside looking in. How much it hurts to be rejected by friends and family and people who said they loved you. People who were supposed to be there forever and how much it hurts to not be needed, not be wanted.

If you and I had coffee...

You'd tell me about the rejection you faced in jobs and relationships and opportunities and I'd ask you how you dealt with it all - the pain and humiliation - and you'd smile and give me a one-word answer. God. You'd remind me that above all the trouble we face here on earth, that God has a master plan for our lives.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd smile and confess that even though I have faith in God and His plan, I struggle with completely submitting to it. I equate it to swimming lessons when I was a kid. While I was supposed to be treading water, instead of completely trusting the process, I'd still reach my toe out to make sure I could touch the bottom of the pool. I've been hurt so many times, I feel like I need to reach out and make sure there is solid ground nearby so I can steady myself if the water gets too choppy.

If you and I had coffee...

You'd sigh and reach into your purse. You'd pull out your phone and tap on it a few times before turning it around to show me the screen. On it would read this verse: "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken."  Psalm 34:17-20 (ESV)

If you and I had coffee...

We'd take our last sips and I'd give you a great big hug, thanking you for knowing which direction to point me like you always do. We'd promise to meet up again, same time, next month. This time, for real hot chocolate.

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 2 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

30 comments:

  1. Coffee dates are always good for the soul! God does have an incredible plan for our lives, even when we are lost and confused! Sometimes we just have to lean on Him 100% and go with the flow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm french press coffee, I can totally get behind that! In college I used to mix a hot chocolate packet into my coffee, but I called it a poor man's mocha and used it to save myself money from always ordering from starbucks! But, no judgements, it's tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adventures with BriJuly 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM

    I love coffee dates! There's something about coffee and a nice atmosphere that gets people talking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always add chocolate to mine at home :) I wish there were more independent coffee shops. You are definitely someone I'd love to have coffee with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surrender yourself, you hate, your struggles and live life in the day you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If this is how our conversation would go I will gladly meet with you for coffee on the regular. The scripture is one of my rocks, and I hope it keeps you while you're waiting for God to reveal His plan. *Hug* And I love that I'm not the only one who puts hot cocoa in my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true Alexis! Thank you for stopping by to read the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have another cup of poor man's mocha, please! I'm not the biggest fan of coffee, so when I do drink it, I add the hot chocolate. I'm glad there's a term for it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! You're right about that! Thanks for stopping by today, Bri!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too and thank you, Marya! You're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so sweet Allie! Thank you for that encouragement!! I need more coffee dates in my life, so girl, bring it on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. if we were having coffee, i'd totally let you know my experience in swimming. i still have the need to touch the floor...also, i'd tell you that with every rejection, there are other opportunities left and maybe it wasnt meant to be at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. Rejection is so hard...especially from people you care about. It's so hard for me to completely accept God's plan all the time, but I know it's a work in progress for me. ps. Hot chocolate in coffee sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you and I had coffee, I'd tell you that I've been thinking a lot about rejection lately too. I'd also tell you that I love the direction you took with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think rejection has been something a lot are feeling lately. Thanks for stopping by to read!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Struggling to submit to God's plan and timing is a very human thing to do. I think it's when God pushes us to the end of ourselves when his grace shines the brightest and self-sufficiency is shot down.

    Also...do you have whipped cream in your bag? I would totally ask for some ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very true. And if I could figure out how to keep it cold, then I would absolutely have whipped cream in my bag! :) Thanks for stopping by today, Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A mocha! You'd make your coffee into a mocha! I love that.

    Rejection is an interesting part of life, right? It's hurtful and unwelcome, but so often it's formative, so important to the evaluation and reflection we maintain of ourselves. It's a little bit of breaking, but it's also what rounds out the toughest of our edges. Or at least, this is how I try and make it more bearable for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, girl you are right on the money. I like to think of rejection as sandpaper. It hurts but smooths out our rough edges in the process. Thanks for coming by to read, Amber! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh, rejection. I struggle with the answers that I've found in this season of my life, when I have so craved community in my real life. I know that I know that the Lord has used this time to draw me closer to him, but in a lot of ways, that doesn't make it easier. And the truth is, we need community -- we were created for it! But look at Abraham (his story has really been a wealth of comfort to me) -- God intentionally called him away from everything he had ever known. He purposefully isolated him, because he was doing a new thing. He needed to get Abraham alone in order to build a relationship that would ultimately be the seed of every promise fulfilled. So I've been praying, asking God what new thing he wants to do in and through me, even though I feel lonely and isolated and uncomfortable. I'll be praying that he reveals that truth to you as well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for that encouragement, Erin. I've never related these feelings to the story of Abraham, but it makes sense that God would want you to be alone for a time so we can fully accept his plan. Thanks for stopping by to read. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, hot chocolate in your coffee, that actually sounds really good! :) I may have to try that! I'd totally join you in a cool, hipster joint and we could take selfies together and I'd give you a big hug.

    Ahhh, your struggles with rejection really hit home. I've been feeling that way a lot lately. Rejection, uncertainty, anxiety. It's something that really bothers me, but at the same time, it forces me to re-evaluate certain things in my life - my goals, my friendships, my environment. Ultimately, it can be helpful, but it just sucks getting there!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the analogy you used with trusting God. It's so true, isn't it? I know that I know that I know that it's better when he's in charge, but it's so hard to completely let go. It's been a learning process for me too...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha! Girl, I'd love to have coffee with you! And yeah, those are tough feelings and you're right about them pushing you to reevaluate things. I find it interesting that these feelings sometimes resonate with us more than the positive ones we experience every day and because of that, I try to be more intentional about leaning into all the feelings, both good and bad and fully allowing myself to feel them. It takes a little bit of the edge off the negative ones because I remember the good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes! Thankfully, our God is one who gives us free will and let's us experience and learn from these things because he knows we will grow closer to him in the process. Thanks for coming by to read, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing! It's a welcome reminder to trust that the Lord has everything planned despite how choppy our lives seem at times.

    ReplyDelete