Tuesday, August 16, 2016

5 Ways to Support a Loved One with Addiction Without Losing Yourself | Guest Post for LeahGrey.com

5 Ways to Support a Loved One with Addiction Without Losing Yourself | Guest Post for LeahGrey.com - A Simpler Grace
I'm so excited because today, I'm guest posting over on LeahGrey.com - a blog focused on offering support and encouragement for women who have loved ones struggling with addiction. This is not a topic I've ever talked about publically, but it's been on my heart for a long time and I want to be able to encourage others who might be dealing with a similar situation.

I grew up in a family with eight kids, all younger than myself, and although I never thought life would be perfect, I never dreamed that one of us would battle addiction. So when my little brother became addicted to opiates after the sudden death of one of our siblings, it was devastating to our family.

Living with and loving an addict is not easy. Anyone who says it is has not fully experienced the scope of addiction and the havoc it can wreak on the lives of those closest to the one struggling. It is very easy for relationships to become strained and even crumble under the stress of fighting a disease that is so misunderstood and I'm here to tell you that it can be prevented. It is possible to love and support a family member who is struggling with addiction without losing yourself in the process.

For the full post, including my five tips for supporting a sibling with addiction, hop over to LeahGrey.com and hang out a bit to see the other fantastic resources she has available.

The post 5 Ways to Support a Loved One with Addiction Without Losing Yourself | Guest Post for LeahGrey.com first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard to help someone who is sick or has an addiction! Because the only person who can truly help them, is themselves. You can only really be there for them when they can finally get themselves out of the funk.

    ReplyDelete