Monday, September 05, 2016

Simple Gratitude | 44 | Blog-tember Day 5

Simple Gratitude | 44 | Blog-tember Day 5 - A weekly series focusing on practicing gratitude.  #gratefulheart #gratitude #feelingthankful #blogtemberchallenge

Happy Monday and happy Labor Day for those of you who live in the States!

It's a very busy post today as I'm doing my regular gratitude post with Emily from Ember Grey AND joining Bailey Jean and doing my daily Blog-tember prompt. Today's prompt is about our most memorable birthday, so I'm going to share a little about that, but first, I wanted to give my mama a shout-out because today is her birthday! Happy birthday, mom!


I can't say that there is one birthday for me that stands out as being memorable. I was born the week of Thanksgiving, so my birthday always falls on a holiday week and growing up, I never had many birthday parties because all my friends were traveling or busy with family. When I was a kid, I got kind of bummed because my birthday was always spent preparing for the holiday and I won't lie - sometimes I wished it wasn't.

As I got older and as celebrating my birthdays became less important to me, I cherished that week when everyone was so busy that my day could float by without anyone making a big deal about it and now, I'd be ok if I could just skip the day entirely. If you know me personally, you know that I can't stand anyone fussing over me and birthday celebrations are not my cup of tea.

I always try to find gratitude in every situation possible, and with that being said, there are some pluses to having a birthday that falls on a holiday.

This week, I'm grateful for:
  • Getting my favorite meal the week of my birthday. I always joke that if I had to choose a final meal, it would be Thanksgiving dinner. I am all about the mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing and pumpkin pie, so I am very grateful to always have these things for my birthday.
  • Being surrounded by family. I come from a very large family and growing up, a big portion of said family would stay at our house for the Thanksgiving holiday. Even though I didn't get a lot of birthday parties with friends, I always had lots of siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles around and it always felt like one giant slumber party.
  • Pumpkin pie with a candle on top. I am not the biggest fan of cake, but I might possibly be one of the top consumers of pumpkin pie. You can imagine how happy it makes me to always have my favorite dessert around (with whipped cream) for my birthday.
  • Football. We are a football family and I grew up watching both professional and college ball. Thank goodness the Thanksgiving holiday always brings with it lots of opportunities to watch. I could always spend my birthday lounging on the couch (with my mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie) and binge watch all the games.
  • Black Friday and getting to choose my own birthday gifts. There is a long-standing tradition in my family (with my mom, specifically) that they don't buy birthday gifts for me. This is because Black Friday is around the corner and why pay full price when you can stand in line for hours and get a deep discount?? The real reason is (and this budget shopper whole-heartedly agrees) that I can get twice as much for the same price if I find the things I want in a Black Friday deal. Receiving gifts is the lowest on the love language totem pole, but if it's on sale, duh.

A Grateful Heart with Ember Grey

What are you grateful for today? Hop over to Ember Grey to link up!

This post is part of the Grateful Heart Monday linkup with Emily at Ember Grey.

Don't forget to check out the other posts on Bailey Jean's blog!



The post Simple Gratitude | 44 | Blog-tember Day 5 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have been grumpy as a kid about having to share my birthday with a holiday, but you are totally right .. there are so many perks to having a birthday that falls the week of thanksgiving! I love that you listed so many things you now realize, especially being around family on your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was difficult when I was a kid, but I've learned to see the silver lining. Thanks so much for stopping by, Elle!

    ReplyDelete