Thursday, October 13, 2016

Apple Brown Betty

An autumn dessert with warm apples, cinnamon and hearty oats served with ice cream - Apple Brown Betty - A Simpler Grace



Tis' the season for warm, hearty desserts and today, I'm sharing a recipe I recently made for my family that was a sure hit. Fall is the perfect time to do some baking using seasonal fruits, warm spices, and lots of other comforting ingredients. Today, it's all about apples, cinnamon, and oats.

This time of the year is usually busy with family activities, school or work functions, holiday preparation and sports, so I like to keep my time in the kitchen at a minimal, if possible. This recipe is easy to toss together quickly and pop in the oven so you have a warm dessert at the ready in case you have company over or if you just need a little something sweet.

An autumn dessert with warm apples, cinnamon and hearty oats served with ice cream - Apple Brown Betty - A Simpler Grace


APPLE BROWN BETTY
YIELD: 8 SERVINGS  PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES  COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES 
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:

For the apple filling:

  • 6 tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
For the topping:
  • 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • additional 2 tbsp. cold butter, cut into small cubes
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter an 8- or 9-inch baking pan. Set aside.
  2. Wash, peel, and thinly slice apples. Toss in a bowl with lemon juice to prevent browning. Add sugar, flour, and cinnamon and gently toss together until apples are coated well. Pour into baking dish. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and melted butter until well incorporated and spoon out over the apples, covering them evenly. Distribute cubed butter over oat topping and place on middle rack of oven. Bake for 45 minutes until topping is a golden color and apples are tender.
This dish is best served warm with your favorite ice cream. I served mine with a big scoop of butter pecan, but French vanilla would be delicious. It would also be great with a drizzle of caramel sauce. Every spoonful will be like a cozy hug in your mouth. Hope you enjoy!

What is your favorite fall dessert?

The post Apple Brown Betty first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

26 comments:

  1. Yum!! I would call this an Apple Crumble, not sure if that's just an Australian thing or universal!?! Thanks for the inspiration to make this, I haven't made one in such a
    long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard them called apple crumbles or apple crisps. I guess you can call it whatever you like because, in my opinion, any dessert with apple is going to be delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect fall dessert! Plus these ingredients are usually all things I have on hand, so that's always great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to be able to whip something up without needing to run to the grocery store first! Thanks for coming by, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious and like something I can actually make! I'm not the best in the kitchen and love to find recipes I feel comfortable with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a super easy recipe and even if you mess up, it'll all look the same after it's baked. Hope you enjoy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, now I'm hungry. I can't wait to try this! Your pictures make it look so good! I can almost smell the apple and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joules (Pocketful of Joules)October 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM

    YES! This is my absolute favorite dessert and it's so perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband wants an apple pie, but this looks so much more enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! One of my favorite fall desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect for fall! It looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy! My husband hates fruit so this is a great way to sneak it in his diet! Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, Lauren! I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet he'd enjoy this as much as pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is my go-to fall dessert. Thanks for coming by today, Lexi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! I love all things apple

    ReplyDelete
  17. You and me both! Thanks for coming by, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious! I just made apple pie this week and now in a cooking fever! This is next! haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh this looks amazing. I wonder if I can sub GF flour such as coconut flour to make this GF?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brittany MuddamalleOctober 14, 2016 at 8:24 PM

    This looks delicious! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely! Coconut flour or even almond flour would work just as well as your standard all-purpose. If you give it a try, let me know what you think with the alteration!

    ReplyDelete