Saturday, October 22, 2016

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon | Live Update

I'm participating in Dewey's 24-hour #readathon and sharing live updates on the blog! - Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon | Live Update #readathon



It's that time of year... A bookworm's holiday: Dewey's 24-hour readathon! The official start time of the #readathon 8:00 a.m. EST but I'm starting at midnight because of a family gathering on Sunday. I'm going to be jumping in with live updates here on the blog throughout the day, so come back often or stop by tomorrow for the full recap of the progress I made! Or, if you want to keep up in real time, you can follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.

Total Time Read:  21 hrs 30 mins
Total Pages Read:  1,911 pages

What's on the list, you ask? I have a collection of books in different formats, from different genres. I'm calling it my "happy stack" because it's a giant stack of books and I may or may not get through them all, but that's ok. I just want to have lots of options so I can have a book at the ready rather than searching for my next read.

Books in hand:

On the Kindle:

In audio:


TIME: 12:01 am
LOCATION: on my bed
JUST BEGAN: The Nest
THOUGHTS; spoiled brats...
UP NEXT: The Catcher in the Rye
CURRENT PLAYLIST: Summer Vibes by mickiemalibu
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE): scanning photos
HOW I'M FEELING: awake and ready to kick some book butt!

.

TIME: 1:45 am
LOCATION: on my bedroom floor
JUST FINISHED: The Nest
THOUGHTS: Not as thrilled with this one as the many positive reviews it received...
CURRENTLY READING: The Catcher in the Rye
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: 1 hr 45 mins
TOTAL PAGES READ: 378 pages
HOW I'M FEELING: jamming to some music and going strong so far

.

TIME: 4:10 am
LOCATION: on my living room couch
JUST FINISHED: The Catcher in the Rye
THOUGHTS: great classic... and I'm hungry.
UP NEXT: Smartphone Utopia
CURRENT PLAYLIST: my cat snoring
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE): eating a chocolate chip cookie
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: 4 hrs 10 mins
TOTAL PAGES READ: 618 pages
HOW I'M FEELING: neck is sore and eyes are starting to hurt (puts on glasses)

.

TIME: 5:15 am
LOCATION: bedroom floor, feet up on wall
JUST FINISHED: Smartphone Utopia
THOUGHTS: need to think about this one, and oh crap, I've forgotten to update on social. Oops!
UP NEXT: quick power nap then The Christmas Promise
CURRENT PLAYLIST:
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE): doing some deep, cleansing breaths
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: 5 hrs 15 mins
TOTAL PAGES READ: 758 pages
HOW I'M FEELING: exhausted

.

TIME: 7:30 am
LOCATION: on my bed
JUST FINISHED: my power nap
THOUGHTS: feeling refreshed and ready for some caffeine
UP NEXT: We All Fall Down
CURRENT PLAYLIST: Productive Morning
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE): Making some black tea
HOW I'M FEELING: need some yoga while I listen to this book

.

TIME: 10:50 am
LOCATION: bedroom floor
IN THE MIDDLE OF: We All Fall Down
THOUGHTS: great book so far, and also, why do all dystopian novels take place in Chicago??
UP NEXT: Overwhelmed
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE): scanning photos (working on large digitizing project)
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: 8 hrs 50 mins
TOTAL PAGES READ: about 1,060
HOW I'M FEELING: accomplished, nostalgic and happy

.

TIME: 12:20 pm
LOCATION: my front porch
JUST FINISHED: We All Fall Down
THOUGHTS: LOVED it!!
UP NEXT: Overwhelmed
CURRENT PLAYLIST: the wind that is whipping through these mountain trees and birds chirping
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE):
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: 10 hrs 20 mins
TOTAL PAGES READ: 1,174 pages
HOW I'M FEELING: great, excited and hungry for some lunch

.

TIME: 7:05 pm
LOCATION:  living room couch
JUST FINISHED: Overwhelmed
THOUGHTS: the name of the book is indicative of how you'll feel after reading that one.
UP NEXT: something light, The Rumor
WHAT I'M DOING (IF HAND'S FREE): just relaxing at the moment
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: about 17 hours
TOTAL PAGES READ: 1,543 pages
HOW I'M FEELING: starting to go downhill, eyes hurt, but will keep pushing forward

.
TIME: 11:00 pm
LOCATION: family room couch, watching DVR'd shows with my brother
JUST FINISHED: The Rumor
THOUGHTS: easy read but I've hit my cap
CURRENT PLAYLIST: Lethal Weapon in the background
TOTAL TIME SPENT READING: 21 hrs 30 mins
TOTAL PAGES READ: 1,911 pages
HOW I'M FEELING: exhausted. I love reading, but this has been a long day.

.

After completing my last book, it occurred to me that I had stopped updating to social at some point this afternoon. I guess I was more focused on reading and less on being on social. I did manage to take a few breaks but realized when I took my audiobook with me to take a shower, that perhaps I was a little too into it.

At the end of the day, I read six books, a total of 21 hrs 30 mins and came close to 2,000 pages!! That is amazing. Definitely putting this one in the record books. In the future, I think I will enjoy reading when it's fun, not because I have to meet a quota.

And with that, goodnight, my friends! Happy reading!

The post Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon | Live Update first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

No comments:

D