Tuesday, October 04, 2016

What I Read | September

A look back at what I read this month. #ASGbookshelf #whatIread - What I Read | September - A Simpler Grace



Good Tuesday to ya! I'm checking in early this October to share what I read in the month of September and what I thought about those books. I'd love to know what you are currently reading and which book you enjoyed last month. Be sure to let me know in the comments below!

Must Read

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain | ★★★★
A classic that I never got around to reading until last month. This is the story of two boys, one wealthy prince and a poor street beggar who were born on the same day and look identical. Their paths cross one day and they realize the similarities, so they decide to swap clothing and roles. The prince goes out into the streets of London and experiences the hardships of a pauper and the pauper boy spends his days in the palace living the life of a royal.

This was unlike anything I've read by Twain in the past. Typically, he resorts to satire and wit in his stories, but this was much heavier, more violent and darker than his other contributions. I did enjoy the relationship the two boys had and the wisdom they both acquired as they were forced to live a life at the other end of the spectrum until they switched roles again and resumed their rightful identities. A great read.

Noteworthy
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking | ★★★★
This one totally appealed to the science and space nerd in me. Hawking's offering gives you the history of the universe, cosmology and anything you could possibly want to know about black holes, time travel and the like and answers those unanswered questions like, "What is at the edge of the universe?" and "How is time measured differently in space than it is here on earth?". If you are a space geek like me, you will surely love this one.

Other mentions for the month of September:

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai  | ★★★★☆ (read full review here)
Dirty Sexy Politics by Meghan McCain  | ★★★☆☆
Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett  | ★★★☆☆

What did you enjoy reading last month?

The post What I Read | September first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

18 comments:

  1. These sound really interesting. I'm dying to read I Am Malala. I'll have to look for that at the library this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any Mark Twain books. With so many new and noteworthy books released every month it's really easy to forget about returning to the classics. I'm trying to do that more and more each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should pick it up. It's so inspiring and she is such a bright young girl. Thanks for stopping by, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is true. I set goals every year to read so many books from each genre so my reading stays pretty well-rounded. I'd definitely recommend this one, but you can never go wrong with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the Prince and Pauper either but will definitely have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading Tony Robbins' Unlimited Power, inspirational self-help book. It may be 30 years old, but it still is top of the line. Can't wait to get all the way through it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should add it to the list! Thanks for coming by, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read that one but have heard about it. I'll have to check that out! Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm currently reading Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling. It's okay so far, funny, but lacking a real uniting theme to all of her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not read that book by Mark Twain either. It sounds like a great one. I haven't read a book in a couple weeks, so I need to make some time and get reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taria Walker-FaisonOctober 4, 2016 at 9:28 PM

    I am a reader also! I just recently finished Truly, Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty. I really enjoy her writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, some of these sound great! Definitely need to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore Mindy Kaling. She is so funny! I agree with you, though, about the lack of a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always try to carve out a little time every day for reading, and truthfully, I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I'm doing dishes, laundry, etc. Hope you are able to make some time for a book soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not read anything by Liane Moriarty but she is on my TBR list. Need to pick up one of her books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard of so many adaptations of the Prince and the Pauper but never read the original (nor did I realize Twain wrote the original!). I will have to look into it!

    Here are my september reads: http://elle-alice.blogspot.ca/2016/09/september-book-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never read/seen any of the adaptations but was pleasantly surprised with the Twain book. Definitely hopping over to your post so I can peek at your reads! <3

    ReplyDelete