Wednesday, November 16, 2016

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 6

 A conversation over coffee #coffeedates - If You and I Had Coffee | vol 6 - A Simpler Grace



If  you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up at your place and hang out in your living room getting cozy by the fireplace that you've kept crackling for the last week. We'd enjoy some homemade gingerbread chai lattes and I'd admire the mantle that you've already adorned with Christmas decor. I'd comment about the sweet cinnamon notes I smelled coming from a new candle you'd lit on the coffee table and you'd tell me that the spicy fragrance of cinnamon always makes the house feel warmer.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd talk about how quickly the holidays arrived and how we are not, in any way, prepared for Thanksgiving yet. We'd reminisce about the big family holiday dinners we each had growing up and how having so many loved ones around always attributed to a party-like atmosphere. I'd share that my Thanksgiving will entail cooking for about twenty people and I'm in charge of side dishes. I'd tell you about this recipe for Bourbon Butter Sweet Potatoes that I really want to try because they look so delicious.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I'm beginning to think about my reading list plans for the new year. It's always a big production for me to sit down and plan out the official list and this year, I'm considering adding a mini-challenge to read more classical literature with lots of Greek mythology and ancient novels and poetry. I have Jean to thank for this idea, as she has stirred up an old love of this genre that I haven't read a lot of since college.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd talk about the seasons of life and how, what they say about everyone going through seasons of growth and progress (like spring and summer) and seasons of plateau and dormancy (fall and winter), is so true. There is a natural cycle to everything, including the creative process and right now, I feel like I'm am deep in the chill of winter. I'd tell you that I've felt unsure, uninspired and apathetic for a few months now. How nothing I've done has felt productive and I've been spinning wheels trying to come up with something to push forward and move into a new season.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd recommend The More of Less by Joshua Becker who is the mastermind behind the blog Becoming Minimalist. I'd tell you that I already knew I was a minimalist before reading his blog or book, but have had so many aha moments since I began following him and have been practicing the principles he shares and feel like so much weight is off my shoulders. I'd tell you that starting in the new year, I plan to take a close look at my life and possessions and embark on a big project to simplify everything.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd confide in you that my birthday is next week and I am not looking forward to it. Not because of the escalating number of my years or the number of gray hairs I just had to color, but because I am not at all where I thought I'd be when I hit this point in my life. I've had this big picture I always imagined for myself since I was in my early twenties but a lot of changes over the past few years and even recently have made me question if I'm on the right path after all. I'd tell you that I often revisit an old blog post I wrote last year about settling for just being happy and that I frequently catch myself wondering what if...

If you and I had coffee...

We'd hear the clock chime, marking the new hour, and leisurely make our way to the kitchen to rinse our mugs. We'd promise to try to find some time for another date between Thanksgiving and Christmas and nervously laugh at the idea of talking about New Year's Eve plans at that next meeting. I'd give you a great big squeeze and wish you a relaxing and happy holiday next week with your family then bundle up and make my way out into the chill of approaching winter.


What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Amber & Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 6 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

12 comments:

  1. I know you aren't excited about your birthday, but it is just another marker of starting over. You can make this year what you want. So, you aren't where you thought you would be. I bet you are further in some areas than you imagined. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd so love to have coffee with you and I'd totally invite you over to sit by our fireplace!
    It's your birthday next week?! Yay!
    Happy Wednesday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably fall asleep since I haven't got out of bed to get coffee yet lol. But seriously, I'd probably have nothing else on my mind other than my fiancé comes home tomorrow and I'm too excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lecy! I love how your sweet spirit comes through the screen and makes me feel right at home.

    Honestly? I just had a birthday, and I'm not where I wanted to be either. Not really. There are so many things that I thought I would have figured out and nailed down by now and I have been struggling to process the gap between where I thought I would be and where I am. Nothing looks like I thought it would. But I'm trying to trust that my thoughts are not the Lord's, and my ways aren't like his.

    Praying for your joy and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so encouraging, Jessica! Thanks, friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chrissy! I'd love to have some coffee with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This time change has been making it a little more difficult to bounce out of bed in the morning, isn't it? Kaley, I am SO EXCITED for you to get to see your love tomorrow! I'm sure it will be a warm reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Erin, thank you so much for your sweet comment! It's encouraging to know I'm not the only one who is feeling this way. I am putting my faith in God and that I'm exactly where He intends for me to be at this point in my life and that is helping. Thanks for coming by to read my post. I always love connecting with other bloggers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun read! I truly felt like we were sitting in a coffee shop together. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Lexi! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. You are so good at making your posts feel conversational. I haven't taken a personality test and I will be checking these out.

    ReplyDelete