Saturday, November 19, 2016

Seven Personality Tests

Seven personality tests and what they can tell you - A Simpler Grace



Today we are talking about a topic that I think is so much fun - personality tests. No, not those silly ones on Facebook that tell you which color your aura is or which movie star is your doppelganger. I'm talking about real, legit tests that give you information about your personality that you can utilize to understand who you are and what you need in life to be happy, productive and successful.

What I love about these seven tests is that they are all available online, they are free, and they can each be taken in about fifteen minutes or less. No sweat, right? You are probably familiar with a few of them and might have even taken them yourself and know your results, but a few of them might be new to you. Read on to learn more about each.

The Briggs Myers personality test is likely one you have heard of and you probably know your result. This test gives you forty-four pairs of characteristics and you rate yourself for each, based on a sliding scale. From your responses, one of sixteen four-letter personality codes is generated for you and details about your result is then provided to you.

In addition to learning the breakdown of your personality and what each letter represents, you also receive fun facts about your personality type, ideas about which careers best suit your type, how you are likely to function in relationships.

I am an INFJ: Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging
Here is a video for my type that shows you what you can expect to learn about your own personality type.

The INFJ Personality Type from Truity on Vimeo.

The Enneagram is another popular personality test, giving you one of nine types such as The Helper, The Achiever, The Investigator and The Peacemaker. Your result is found by responding to a series of "yes", "no", or "maybe" statements. Along with your result, you'll receive a comprehensive profile about your type and the qualities you likely possess based on that personality type.

I am a Type 1: The Reformer
Here is a snippet from my personality profile.
"Perfectionist, responsible, fixated on improvement. Ones (Reformers) are often driven and ambitious and are sometimes workaholics. But whatever their professional involvement, they are definitely active, practical people who get things done. They are natural born organizers, listmakers who finish everything on the list, the last one to leave the office, the first one to return, industrious, reliable, honest and dutiful."

The Richard Step Strengths & Weaknesses test is intended to provide professional or career-driven personality types but the information can be applied to daily life as well. The test itself is a series of eighty-four statements that you answer on a scale of "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree". Based on your responses, you'll receive your top five strengths, your greatest weakness and the percentage breakdown for each. Under each of your strengths, you'll receive a list of statements and recommendations for how to make the best of your individual qualities.

My top five strengths are:
  • Balance 100%
  • Self-Motivation 88%
  • Faith 88%
  • Curiosity 88%
  • Ambition 88%
My number one weakness is:
  • Salesmanship 44%
Many of you are probably familiar with The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman but if you aren't, the idea is that there are five major "love languages" or ways you best receive love from your significant other. This information is helpful to understand when you are in a committed relationship so you know how to best show your partner they are loved and cared for. The five love languages are as follows: Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time and Physical Touch. We all respond best to one or two of these, more than the others.

Many wedding officiants request that couples take this test together during pre-marital counseling so they start their relationship off of a good foot and know what their partner needs from them to be happy in a long-term, committed relationship. Whether you are currently in a relationship or single, it's helpful to know what your love language is so you can better communicate your needs with your (future) partner.

My love languages are:
  • Physical Touch / Quality Time (these were tied at 9 points each)
  • Words of Affirmation (8 points)
The Apology Language test is one I find very interesting. Believe it or not, we don't all accept apologies the same way for the wrong done to us. The creator of the Love Language test has narrowed down apology language to five factors: Genuinely Repenting, Requesting Forgiveness, Expressing Regret, Accepting Responsibility and Making Restitution, Like the previous personality test, you generally respond to one or two of these.

My apology languages are:
  • Expressing Regret (8 points)
  • Accepting Responsibility (6 points)
The Appreciation Language test is very similar to the Love Language test except it is geared towards our professional lives and how we best feel appreciated in our work life. The languages are the same but they apply to our lives in different ways and it's beneficial to know your language so you can understand how you feel most appreciated in work relationships.

My appreciation languages are:
  • Words of Affirmation (2 points)
  • Acts of Service (1 point)
This is likely one of the most fun of the tests to take as it is intended to show you what truly makes you happy or what drives you in life. Based on the book, The Happiness Dare by Jennifer Dukes Lee, this five-minute test will help reveal your heart's deepest desires. There are five different happiness styles, according to Lee, and along with your type, you'll receive a short profile sharing a little more insight into your happiness style as well as a fun life motto for your type.

I am a Thinker.
Here is a snippet from my happiness style profile.
"You find supreme happiness in the contemplative work of the mind. You take delight in learning, pondering, and dreaming. You are in your sweet spot when you push the limits of your beautiful, inquisitive mind. As a Thinker, you get frustrated with others who don't see things your way. You are challenged when people make you feel incompetent. As a Thinker, you are a noticer, a daydreamer, and a question asker. You are known for being curious and wise." 

What I learned...
As you can see, I got very similar results across the board and they are all very true. I am, beyond a shadow of a doubt, very introverted, curious, ambitious and spend a lot of time inside my own mind, thinking and pondering the many wonders of life. I also learned a lot about myself by taking all these tests, such as the fact that I appreciate being challenged, having someone's undivided attention when I'm spending time with them and that I respond best to verbal praise in a professional environment.

When taking these personality tests, it's important to be honest with yourself when answering the questions and remember they are giving you likely profiles that are intended to provide a little insight into yourself. They are not concrete evidence that you are a certain way and sometimes people will get different results when they take the tests a second time. It's always good to learn more about you and what makes you tick but you shouldn't take any of the results negatively. We all have good qualities and not-so-good and you should learn from these tests and make the best of the answers you get from them.

Have you ever taken a personality test? Which ones have you gotten the most out of?

The post Seven Personality Tests first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

12 comments:

  1. I love personality tests! I can't wait to come back and take some of these after the kids are in bed. :) I've done the Meyers Briggs twice before and have gotten INFP both times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so much fun! I, also, have taken a few of them multiple times and have received the same results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a masters in psychology and I am currently working on my Doctorate. I love these little personality tests because it is a good way to learn about yourself and ways to improve if you may be displaying more negative than positive traits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been curious about personality tests, but I was overwhelmed by how many there were so I never really looked into it any more. I'll totally check these out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've taken a few personality tests before! I feel like they give me a little insight into my personality that I didn't quite understand, and that's really cool to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a lot of fun and these are good ones that don't take a whole lot of time to take. Hope you are able to try a few of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get engrossed in all the research they must have to do to be able to nail down personality so well. Like I said in the post, I am very true to each of my types and it's always cool to learn a little more about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done a few tests before - sometimes I believe them and other times I don't. Definitely want to try that Happiness Assessment. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so similar, Lecy!! I'm an ISFJ and an Enneagram type 6 (Loyalist), which I think overlaps with type 1 a bit. I love personality tests -- they are such a helpful tool for understanding our own tendencies and how we interact with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you'll like the happiness assessment. It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're right! They do overlap. In fact, my wing was a Type 6. I'm so glad you were able to stop by to read!

    ReplyDelete