Wednesday, December 14, 2016

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 7

A conversation over coffee #coffeedates - If You and I Had Coffee | vol 7 - A Simpler Grace



If  you and I had coffee...

We'd meet at the little coffee kiosk at the local chain bookstore, where we've both been spending a lot of time lately. I'd order the biggest hot chocolate - hold the whipped cream - and with our drinks, we'd wander aimlessly through aisles and aisles of bound tales from storytellers, both new and centuries old. I'd tell you about my passion for the construction of books. The binding, the end papers, the products used in the cover design and the beautiful spines that hold them all together. Oh, and the smell. Don't get me started on the smell of printed books! The older ones are always the best.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you how I've been struggling with anxiety lately and how soothing it is for me to walk into a library these days. How just meandering through the rows of literary contributions, running my fingers along the Dewey Decimal labels can slow my racing heart without a moment's pause. Hearing the crinkle of the plastic dust jacket when I open an edition and touching the yellowed and wrinkled pages is like a natural form of Prozac for me. I feel like I can breathe in those places. Like the silent stacks of books know what's on my aching mind without my needing to utter a single word.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you about how you are approaching the coming new year. Whether you are pushing your sleeves up and putting some elbow grease into your plans for 2017 or if you are holding on to 2016 with some hesitancy to jump into something new with both feet. I'd share that I've been thinking a lot about the new year. I've been thinking about some changes that need to be made and how I feel about letting go of a few things that are no longer in line with where my life is headed. "I am learning to love the sound of my feet walking away from things not meant for me." I saw that quote recently and got a flutter in my stomach when I read it. I'm approaching the new year, Marie Kondo style. I don't want to spend my free time and energy doing anything that doesn't spark joy in my life - and I am evaluating my commitments accordingly.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I'm excited about some new blogging projects I have planned for 2017. How I'd like to take the blog to new levels and expand my writing comfort zone a bit. After a recent conversation with my love, when he told me that I needed to start writing for me and stop being worried about what others think about my writing, it became apparent (that he knows me SO WELL!?) that I write with so much heart when I am writing for myself. The pages of my journal are written like poetry, but the pages of my blog are mechanical and sometimes forced and this needs to stop. The new year will bring all heart and soul and some may not like it, but I'm preparing myself for that. For a girl who wears her heart on her sleeve, (albeit under several layers of coziness,) it has to be this way. I have to be real.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you about your final plans for the holidays. I'd tell you that I'm having my nieces over the Friday before for a Christmas cookie baking marathon and how their little hands will be much help when it comes to icing and sprinkling all of our confections. We plan on making a spice cookie recipe similar to gingerbread, that goes back at least five generations in our family. You use cookie cutters to cut them out into fun holiday shapes and decorate them. I might even share snapshots from the day on Instagram because there is nothing cuter than little girls getting their hands dirty in a big bowl of cookie dough. It will be one of the highlights of my holiday weekend.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd finish our drinks and make our way to the register to pay for the few books that might have jumped into our hands during our chat. Just before I hug you goodbye, I'd pull out a little gift for you from my kitchen - a parchment bag filled with homemade salted caramels. Some are dipped in gourmet French chocolate - one of my specialties from days gone by when I made a business of making candy. Oh, how I do miss the smiles I'd get when someone tried one of my treats for the first time... I'd give you a squeeze and wish you a happy holiday and we'd promise to meet up again in January. Twenty-seventeen, here we come!


What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Amber & Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 7 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

9 comments:

  1. I love your coffee posts! I'd take one of these coffee dates with you if we lived close! 😊 I'd order a chai and swoon with you while thumbing book pages in front of my face for the fragrance! 😂 I'd squeeze you after you shared about your anxiety and tell you to call me more so I can pray with you. I'd commend your cookie ambitions, I don't have the patience and choke up a bit about how sweet it is that you make such warm memories with your neices. I'd share how difficult it is with my brother's family, living far away and not seeing them hardly ever. Then I'd express my excitement for you about your blogging!!! And I'd agree with your love about you writing for you and tell you I'll still read along! And at the end, my heart would melt because gift giving is my love language and it would bless my socks off that you thought to bring along a homemade caramely gift!!! 😍 it would be a sweet coffee date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kayla, this made me cry! One of the best things to come from my blogging journey is the sweet friends I've made along the way and you are at the top of that list. You are always so encouraging and you bring so much joy to my life. Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. We will have to make a promise to meet up for coffee if either of us is near the other. We would have so much fun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, I love that! It's been so fun getting to know you through blogging! Yes, for sure I promise!!!!! 😍 we totally would!!! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a coffee date while wandering through a bookstore! Makes my heart happy just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from the linkup - I have to second the advice about writing for yourself, especially if you're planning to expand. Blogging is wonderful when we keep our hearts in it but the second it becomes forced it's more of an albatross than anything else. That said, I'm also planning big things for 2017 and am ready to jump in, head first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this approach to 2017 -- if it doesn't help you breathe, get rid of it! And I'm obsessed with that line about the sound of your feet walking away from what isn't meant for you. I have never thought about it that way. I tend to overextend myself with the mentality that everything is meant for me. But no more! 2017 will tell a new story.

    I'm so proud of your vulnerability when it comes to blogging, and I can't wait to see where this new year takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too! Except I'd probably spend WAY too much money buying all the books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Kate and best wishes for your big plans in 2017! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2017 is going to be a great year! Thanks so much for stopping by today, Erin! <3

    ReplyDelete