Thursday, December 22, 2016

One Little Word | An Intentional 2017

One Little Word | An Intentional 2017 - A Simpler Grace #onelittleword



"It takes a lot of courage to share your dreams with someone else." - Erma Bombeck

Every year, at the end of December, I sit down with a mug of tea and a notebook and reflect on the last twelve months. I think about where I've come from, the challenges I've overcome, the goals I've met in that time and where I see myself going in the new year. Then, I select One Little Word to be my guiding principle for the year. This word will be one I meditate on every day, one that impacts every branch of my life and encompasses everything I want to be and accomplish in that year. If you're not familiar with the One Little Word project, created by Ali Edwards, you can read more about it on her website.

In 2015, my word was LEARN and it was, indeed, a year for learning. I learned some hard lessons: how to trust and rely on myself again, how to cope with a new kind of grief that I never before faced and how to let go of my own plans and trust in God's plan for my life. This was not an easy journey to make alone, but going it alone was an essential task for me.

In 2016, I chose the word EVOLVE. I had changed so much the previous year, from an anxious, dependent spouse to a strong, single woman who was finding stride in her own life again. I described this change as the process of metamorphosis when a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. Throughout the year, I became stronger, more confident and passionate. I let go of fear. I learned to open my heart and love again. I made some big changes here on the blog and dug in deep with the project (my baby) of rebranding and creating what is now A Simpler Grace. I feel like I finally emerged from that cocoon a new woman, ready to conquer what was in front of me.

This year, I put a lot of thought into what I felt my word should be. Like the previous years, I didn't want to casually choose a random word that would mean nothing to me. So, for the past few months, I've been dwelling on this decision. I juggled two words for quite a while - one, geared more toward my personal desires and the other, what I wanted to do for others. Then, out of the blue, my word found me.

One Little Word | An Intentional 2017 - A Simpler Grace #onelittleword


In 2017, my One Little Word is SHARE. "Share" encompasses everything I want to be and accomplish in this new year. Every goal I have for 2017 is manifested in this word.

share [shair] (verb)
     1. to use, participate in, enjoy, receive jointly
     2. to divide, apportion or receive equally

When you look at the above definitions, you can see they both refer to the equal division of something. I want to give my world as much as I am giving to myself.

In my recent coffee date post, I talked about wanting to write with more heart and soul, so I will open up and share more of me and my story in my writing, both here on the blog and in my freelance work. I want to share more of my time and energy with the people I care about and in the commitments that spark joy in my life. I want to give more freely to the causes I am passionate about and share my love of philanthropy with the world around me. I want to share inspiration, encouragement, creativity, love and conversation over steaming cups of tea. I want to build this little community and lift its members up in 2017.

One thing I want to try differently in 2017 is how I reflect on my word throughout the year. In previous years, I've written one post in late December and give a brief follow up the next year when I share my new word. Because I'm trying to live a more intentional life, I thought it would be appropriate to do a monthly update and share a few thoughts on my word and what it's impact has been in my life so far. These updates will be added on to my Monthly Reflections post, so stay tuned for the first one in January.

The post One Little Word | An Intentional 2017 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

8 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for being a part of the link up!!! I really like your word for this year and glad to have a new blog to read!! I can't wait to see the monthly updates and see how SHARE is going!!! i think SHARE can be such an easy word to want to do but so hard to live out!!! i am glad you are choosing this word and challenging yourself!!! i feel like my word "flexible" is also one of those words!!

    Thanks again for being a part of the link up!!! Can't wait to read more! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, thank you so much for stopping by! You're right. "Share" is one of those words that is easy to want but difficult to live out. I'm hoping 2017 is going to be the year I walk out what I talk about. I'm headed over to your blog now to read your post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Share is a great word! You can do so much with it, but it is also simple. Thanks for connecting with me, and I can't wait to see how you use "share" throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by to read, Becky! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a phenomenal word. Surely one I could intentionally add into my vocabulary this year!

    promisesatdawn.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Share is a really diverse word. Most of us learn how to share pretty early on in life in terms of 'sharing our toys' but after that it seems to fade a little. Looking forward to following along and seeing what you do with your word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, Donna! The idea of sharing does fade as we get older. Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello! :)

    ReplyDelete