Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Exodus 14:14 | Bible Journaling w/ Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life

Bible journaling with Kayla - Exodus 14:14 - #illustratedfaith #biblejournaling - A Simpler Grace



I'm so excited to welcome back Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life. She shared a Bible journaling process post, here on ASG, last May, and you guys loved it, so I asked her if she'd come back to share another with us and she agreed! Today, she is here to share what she created as inspired by the book of Exodus.


-------

I sat down to journal today and immediately I heard, "be still." I ran over to Biblegateway.com and searched "be still" and Psalm 46:10 came up first thing! I flipped to that page in my Bible and found that the page was already done so I did a google search for the same phrase and found a page with a few verses of examples.

Exodus 14:14 spoke to me strongly.

"The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent." - Exodus 14:14 (ESV)

So, I sat down with my markers, my water brush, some washi tape, and a pen.

I started by highlighting my verse with brackets and a bit of color.

Then I decided I wanted to see some ideas of using the markers that I have, I have only used them a few times, and once in my Bible so I looked up a tutorial/review on youtube. Then I decided I wanted to see script/calligraphy done with them and I found this great video tutorial: 



I'm actually pretty happy with how the page turned out, I'm not so confident in my script, but I think this one turned out pretty!


Bible journaling with Kayla - Exodus 14:14 - #illustratedfaith #biblejournaling - A Simpler Grace



I wanted something else on the page that reflected being still. I first thought, maybe music notes, but the verse in my version says, "you only have to be silent" so I wanted something without a reflection of sound.

Flowers came to mind and I went to town! 




I finished the flowers and I really like them, all I did was draw a swirly circle and gave them each a stem and some leaves.


I felt like the page wasn't TOTALLY finished yet, I wanted some kind of embellishment on it but I'm lacking in that supply department, so I decided to add some washi along the edge and did a little washi tab on the top of the page to mark it with.

Bible journaling with Kayla - Exodus 14:14 - #illustratedfaith #biblejournaling - A Simpler Grace

To make a washi flaggie, first take a length of washi tape. Then fold one end over, but be sure to leave enough sticky to be able to attach to your page securely. I always leave either half or a little more than half of what I folded over. When you have it folded, you can snip a little V in it, start at the corner, find a center spot and clip, do that to the other side and you've got a little flaggie!

Bible journaling with Kayla - Exodus 14:14 - #illustratedfaith #biblejournaling - A Simpler Grace

Overall, I'm really happy with how this page turned out!!! It's bright, pretty, and reflects the feel that I wanted to give it. I'm still a little disappointed that I didn’t have any glitter to add to it (apparently that's my next Bible journaling investment) but other than that, I'm even satisfied with my script and handwriting that I'm not typically very confident in.

Bible journaling with Kayla - Exodus 14:14 - #illustratedfaith #biblejournaling - A Simpler Grace



What are your favorite supplies to use in Bible journaling? Leave a comment below and let us know!

Kayla has been married to her husband, Andrew, for almost 8 years. They have three boys - 6, 4 & 2 and a new baby due in June. They have moved four times over the course of their marriage which is where the title of Kayla's blog, the Accidental Nomad Life sprung from. Kayla blogs frequently as her stay-at-home job; she loves photography, graphic design, and anything crafty and DIY. Kayla has a heart for sharing her story and encouraging people - making the social media life less perfect.
Find out more about Kayla on her blog The Accidental Nomad Life.


-------

How cute are those little washi flaggies??? Kayla, thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us today. It's always a joy to have you on the blog, sweet friend!

The post Exodus 14:14 | Bible Journaling w/ Kayla from The Accidental Nomad Life first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, this is one if my favorite spaces to be!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love having you here, friend! You are welcome anytime!! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply cannot do water color in the bible. And I technically don't "bible" journal. I have completely colored my life into my Jesus Calling book, however. And the watercolor pages I did there, meh, I don't love crispy pages :-)
    I do a lot of stamping and let it flow that way. And my colored pencils are a must have. I use both Prismacolor (thank you Architecture days!) and Crayola.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a lot of people who are into illustrating their faith and many of them do it in other journals or notebooks rather than in their Bible. I'm ok with either if it's done to glorify God and express our faith. I've never tried stamping before but I LOVE using colored pencils. Thanks for coming by to check out the post, Brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I like the idea of water color but I never tried it before. Normally, I just write make small notes on the sides. Might try this out next time.

    www.twenty7bymichelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Journaling comes in all shapes and forms. Some of mine are very artistic and some are just highlights and notes. I think Kayla did a beautiful job on this page! Thanks for stopping by to check it out, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how this page turned out! Also, great verse! I need to write that one down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy Kayla chose this verse to share today. It was just the message I needed to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! This bible verse has really been speaking to me lately. I never really thought about doing bible journaling before. I use a prayer journal, but don't actually do "art" in it. Is it tough to do if you aren't good at drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Reeni, it's been speaking to me too! I am more digitally talented (photographs, graphic design) but can't draw to save my life so I do more abstract art in my journaling Bible but I think you can express your faith in lots of ways. Many people just make notes and highlight passages with colored pencils/highlighters and some paint beautiful scenes. It's all a matter of interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I think that would work well for me! :) Thanks again for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not great at drawing either which is why my pieces always end up cartoony like my flowers here. I've learned to be satisfied with doing more writing and using lots of color in place of pretty images. You could even print pictures off to trace or just glue in like a scrapbook if that's more your style! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! It was one I was excited to stumble upon. I don't often open to Exodus. I tend to spend a lot of time in the New Testament. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love making notes on the side, I love watercolor too though! I'm a fan of old books with crispy pages and I love that watercolor crinkles my pages and gives them a crispier sound when I flip them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fun! I'm a crispy page girl - I LOOOVE old books with crispy pages so that part makes me happy! Stamps is a GREAT way to do journaling. There are a lot of people in the Illustrated Faith FB group that do stamps for theirs as well. And I've seen a lot of people do journals instead of their Bibles which I think is a great alternative too! I love that you used your Jesus Calling book - that's an AWESOME resource!!! :)

    ReplyDelete