Thursday, January 12, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 8

A conversation over coffee #coffeedates- If You and I Had Coffee | vol 8 - A Simpler Grace



If you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up at the local diner and grab a cozy booth away from the blustery draft of the front door. We'd order our brew - I would drink it black today - and a slice of apple pie (to split, because #resolutions) although we might ask for an extra scoop of vanilla ice cream, à la carte. From my bag, I'd pull out a little box for you. Inside would be a few of my homemade hot chocolate truffles because I so adore making sweet treats for my friends.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd catch up on life since we'd last met before the Christmas holiday and chat about how the first few weeks of the new year have been. I'd tell you that I chose SHARE as my One Little Word and how I'm planning on doing a lot more sharing - in all respects - in 2017. I'd also tell you that although I didn't make any specific New Year's resolutions, I do plan on keeping up with my monthly goals that I've been posting here on the blog since last year. I'd tell you that one of my goals is to make my health a priority in 2017 and I've been doing that by eating healthier (and drinking my new favorite DetoxWater) and have also been doing yoga every day this month, which has been so rewarding.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I've struggled with self-love for such a long time. From as early as I can remember, I've always had a negative perception of myself and that something as simple as looking at photos of myself used to make me physically and emotionally ill. I'd admit to you that I battled a minor eating disorder in my late teens and early twenties (something I've only shared with a select few until now) and I've decided to share more of my story this year in hopes of encouraging other young girls who are feeling the way I did. I've done a lot of work both in and out of a therapist's office since then and have made great strides, but still have a long way to go to quiet that inner voice that still tells me I'm not good enough.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that in light of my search for more self-love in 2017, I'm working on a year-long project where I'll be posting a selfie every two weeks on Instagram. You might laugh at the cliche because there are so many people who LOVE posting photos of themselves, but for me, it is a therapeutic endeavor to see the inner and outer beauty in a simple photograph of myself. I also hope there might be others who join in on this project because I know there are a lot of people, women especially, who battle with low self-esteem and negative self-perception and I think we could all learn to show ourselves a little more love. (More on this in tomorrow's post)

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you how I've been craving some more culture in my life. How I am surrounding myself with art and poetry and music and literature from authors and creators who have lives very different than the one I lead. I'd tell you one of my BIG reading projects in 2017 is to read more diversely - to enjoy the literary offerings from people who aren't white, privileged, upper-or-middle class, Christian Americans... because I believe the best way to grow as a human being and achieve empathy and understanding is to meet other humans and learn about their experiences. I am very excited about this opportunity to learn more and broaden my spectrum.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd playfully fight over the last piece of pie, but in the end, I'd let you have it since I ate the whole crust (my favorite part). I'd give you a warm hug and we'd promise to meet up again soon - maybe next time for a night on the town?


What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Amber & Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 8 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

10 comments:

  1. Mic drop....
    This hit me in so many ways. Still processing but w.o.w.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Brittany, I didn't expect this kind of response. Thanks for coming by to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are my favorite posts, I love feeling like we're actually having coffee because you share so vulnerably. I can relate with you on so made levels of these.

    I so admire your goal of reading a broader spectrum of authors!

    Do you have a hadhtag thought of for your selfies movement? I have found that selfies have helped my self image as well and I'd love to join you!!! 💖

    Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, friend! There are actually two hashtags I plan on using for the selfie project. #loveyourselfie2017 and #2017self26 There is a Facebook group for the Self26 group that is full of photographers and other creatives who are participating in posting a selfie https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/cd4aa7a0f4fde1d4f28ae1c8976e8abdf90d520516a03531ceffa53664210008.jpg every two weeks. I'm happy to add you to that group if you'd like to join and be inspired, but I'm also sharing the graphics with the prompts below. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I kind of like the selfie idea, because I personally, hate pictures of me. I don't feel like I hate how I look, I just feel like pictures always making me look fatter, pastier, and more blah than I feel. I blame it on a picture being a 3D image smooshed into 2D but the reality is, it means i end up usually taking the picture so I don't have to be in it. I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I can see why someone wouldn't like photos of themselves. And it doesn't help that we have celebrities posting "selfies" of themselves that were taken and edited by professional photographers. You are a beautiful person, Kaylee, and you should definitely get in front of the camera more often! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Share -- what an awesome word to approach 2017 with. I love it!

    I'm honestly really terrible at self-love. You know how Jesus said "love your neighbor as yourself?" I'm great at the loving my neighbor part, but not so great at the loving myself part. Is that really possible? The two seem so intricately woven together that I'm having a hard time believing that they could actually happen apart from each other. I will be praying that the Lord shows you how to love yourself better.

    Also, a great way to get a little culture is by watching documentaries! I am a giant nerd, and I just adore them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! Why is self-love so hard for some of us? I've had the same thought about loving your neighbor as yourself and I'd be treating my neighbors terribly if I did that. Thank you for the prayer. I'm hoping I'll learn to be kinder to myself in 2017. Also, I LOVE documentaries! My Netflix account is on hold right now, but that's usually all I watch on it. There are some great ones out there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ALWAYS down for splitting apple pie and ice cream!

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a firm believer that friends are made over apple pie! :)

    ReplyDelete