Friday, January 13, 2017

Self Image | 2017

One's conception of oneself - Self Image | 2017 - A Simpler Grace



Self Image is a video series originally created by YouTuber Eric Schneider, Since then, many other creators have made similar videos or blog posts defining who they are at the beginning of every year. I fell in love with this project idea and wanted to use it as a way to embrace all the qualities, both good and bad, that make up who I am, and hopefully, from composing this list, I'll be able to weave a little more compassion and self-love into my life. Continue reading below to learn about a project I'm working on to practice a little more self-love in 2017.

Self26 Self Portrait Project #2017self26 #loveyourselfie2017 - Self Image | 2017 - A Simpler Grace


My name is Lecy and this is me in 2017. 

I'm a Christian, a Sagittarius, a tea drinker, a gluten-free pescatarian, a video game addict, and an introvert who would rather keep my nose buried in a book than attend any social event. I'm a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, an aunt, a cousin, a girlfriend, a best friend, and a mom to half a dozen fuzzy critters. I will also soon be an ex-wife.

I'm a writer, a storyteller, a nature and landscape photographer, a creator of many things. I'm a skeptical realist, an over-thinker, and a questioner. I leave no stone unturned. I'm a day-dreamer, a neat freak, and a germaphobe - that last one being both out of habit and necessity. I'm a survivor. I've come within minutes of death, caught a glimpse of the other side and yet lived to tell about it. Perspective on life changes after something like that...

I crave connection. I want to belong somewhere. I need to be wanted and loved by someone who doesn't want to live life without me. I want to be someone's forever, to sit next to the same person on the front porch swing and gaze up at the stars every evening and pour their first cup of coffee every morning, and, so far in my thirty-seven years, I've yet to find that. 

I have a lot of quirks. I roll my eyes too much. I take open college courses for fun. I hide my deep and painful history of anxiety and depression behind a veil of sharp sarcasm and wit. I rarely smile and when I do, people tell me I look like I'm up to something. I tend to let my mind wander to places it shouldn't go. I sometimes curse like a sailor. I occasionally embarrass people by breaking out into the running man in the middle of the produce aisle at the grocery store. This has happened more than once. I can carry on full conversations in emoji. I speak cat. No really, I do.

I have a big heart and I love with every ounce of it - if you can navigate the moat teeming with alligators and scale the barbed-wire-wrapped fence. I'm determined, passionate, a hard worker, and I fight for what I want, but I often find myself growing bored in situations that don't seem to be going anywhere. I stand up for what's right, root for the underdog and fiercely guard the ones I love.

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, but I'm still a beach girl at heart.

I drink my tea black or with a little organic honey.

I feel my best in jeans and a hoodie, but I wear flip flops year round.

When doing my makeup, I focus heavily on my eyes. I smell like Sarah Jessica Parker's Stash.

I'd rather read books than watch television.

I still get excited when my writing touches someone.

My name is Lecy and this is me in 2017.

-------

I shared in yesterday's coffee date that I'm going to be working on a year-long project to practice a little more self-love in 2017. Every two weeks, I'll be joining a group of photographers and other creative entrepreneurs by posting a selfie on Instagram as part of the Self26 movement. 

For me, this will be a therapeutic endeavor to realize the inner and outer beauty in a photograph of myself, something I have not been able to look at for many years without it stirring up a lot negative and hateful feelings toward myself. I would love if others would join me in this project, if you are so inclined, by following the prompts in the graphic below and using the #2017self26 and #loveyourselfie2017 hashtags.

image courtesy Jennifer Jacobs and the Self26 Self Portrait Project

What does your self image look like for 2017?

The post Self Image | 2017 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

2 comments:

  1. And again, there it is. Mind blown. I am so similar to you with the descriptives you have used. Naybe that was the mic drop from yesterday and the mind blown today 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That's neat that we have so many similarities, Brittany. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. <3

    ReplyDelete