Thursday, February 09, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 9

 A conversation over coffee #coffeedates If You and I Had Coffee | vol 9 - A Simpler Grace



If you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up one evening at the local dimly-lit coffee house for their weekly open mic night. I'd order a coffee with a shot of bourbon and we'd pull two bar stools up to a table off the side of the stage - close enough to listen but far enough away that we can still hear each other speak. We'd sip our drinks out of mason jar mugs and get caught up in the woman on stage who was reciting a poetic monologue about broken hearts.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you if you've ever had a broken heart. I'd tell you that I've had a few dealt to me over the course of my adult life. I'd share with you that I wasn't sure they ever healed up completely but rather the pieces have been scattered, collected and rearranged by loves to come after. You can tell a lot about the character of a person, a potential partner, by how they treat you in the aftermath of a broken heart. Some come in a whirlwind, kicking the pieces with the toes of their boots, crushing bits under their heels. Others, the rare few, see the remains all over the floor and immediately reach for the dust pan, then spend hours piecing you back together with superglue. I was lucky to find the latter.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I've felt like the earth was off its axis the last several weeks. I've been battling with some pretty severe anxiety and depression. I think it's a mix of seasonal affective disorder and the weight of the stress I've had in my life, but it's been so bad that I've wanted to do nothing other than lock myself in a dark room until the storm passes. Two things have helped pull me out of my stupor: an amazing guy who knows how to distract my heavy mind to lighter things and books. There is something about getting lost in a book, entering another world and getting to live someone else's life for awhile.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd share (since we're on the topic of books) that in February, I'm honoring Black History Month by reading a handful of books written by black authors. One of my goals this year was to diversify my bookshelf and I'm excited to read Alice Walker and Maya Angelou - shamefully, I had never read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings or The Color Purple before this month - as well as some authors new to me like Chinelo Okparanta, Attica Locke and James William Brown. Oh, and can we talk about Roxane Gay? The woman can WRITE! I am also planning a similar project for Hispanic Heritage Month.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd get distracted by a young guy on stage with an acoustic guitar and a gravelly voice, crooning into the microphone. After he finished, I'd ask you what you thought about feminism. I'd tell you the topic has been on my mind lately. How I've been watching some panels with some self-proclaimed feminists and was interested to find out that many women don't consider themselves feminists even though they support most, if not all of the major bullet points feminism stands for. I often wonder if the word itself turns people off. If, perhaps, it's too bold or too liberal to pin on their shirts and at the same time, I still don't know if I consider myself one. Growing up in a conservative Christian circle, feminism has always been a dirty word, one that Christian women don't use to define themselves. We instead prefer words like agreeable, dependable, submissive or obedient. I plan to mull this over a bit more and develop my own idea of how "feminist" I am.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd hang around until the last act took the stage. We'd finish out drinks and cheer along with the rest of the crowd until the house lights would come back up and the busboys would make their way to clear the emptying tables. I'd give you a hug and we'd promise to meet up at the same time next month before bundling up and heading out into the cold February night.

What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Amber & Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 9 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

5 comments:

  1. Oh girl. The conversations that we would have about your conversations topics here. <3 also, I don't think you added enough distraction by the guys with guitars serenading us... ;) swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about this statement is so true. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! YES!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, friend. I love the sound of this! Open mic nights are my favorite. Have you read Sarah Bessey's "Jesus Feminist?" I really enjoyed it. And Maya is my girl crush forever and ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read Jesus Feminist yet but I want to. So many books, so little time! Thanks so much for coming by to say hello, Erin! :)

    ReplyDelete