Wednesday, February 08, 2017

What I Read | January

A look back at what I read last month. #ASGbookshelf #whatIread What I Read | January - A Simpler Grace



Hey, friends! I always get super-excited about these book posts. They are also some of my favorite posts to read, so if you blog about books, let me know so I can follow you! I read a whole lot of books last month and I can't wait to tell you about them! Continue reading below to see what I thought were hits and which were misses.

Must Read

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman | ★★★★★
This book captures all the ugly and beautiful and scary and dark places of mental illness but it does so in a quirky, entertaining but no-less-heartbreaking way. 

Teenager Caden Bosch perfectly embodies the unreliable narrator as he spends half of his time in the real world and the other half on a ship that's headed into the deepest parts of Marianas Trench. Throughout the course of the book, it becomes apparent he is spending more and more time on this ship, with shipmates who represent the people in his life, and less based in reality. 

His character is brilliant, believing things like causing an earthquake in China if he thinks hard enough about the plum line between where he is standing, going directly through the earth to the other side. Or following the instructions on street signs (STOP, Right Turn Only, Do Not Cross) until he has wandered to the other side of town. He is coherent and understanding of what he is doing, but, at the same time, cannot break free of the grabs of the darkest parts of his mind to NOT do them.

I could go on and on, but I'll just say, read it for yourself. Neal Shusterman is a genius.

Noteworthy

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth | ★★★★
On a planet where violence and vengeance rule, in a galaxy where some are favored by fate, everyone develops a currentgift, a unique power meant to shape the future. While most benefit from their currentgifts, Akos and Cyra do not—their gifts make them vulnerable to others’ control. Can they reclaim their gifts, their fates, and their lives, and reset the balance of power in this world? - Goodreads description

I didn't know if Veronica Roth could pull off another sci-fi book without it rubbing lines with the Divergent series, but she managed to do it. I was impressed with the intricacies of this storyline and the tremendous character development that went into writing this book. I knew and could picture every player and her storytelling kept me turning the pages. I finished this 468-page book in one day.

Other mentions for the month of January:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling  | ★★★★★
Looking for Alaska by John Green  | ★★★★
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou  | ★★★★
Yes Please by Amy Poehler  | ★★★★
Cure: A Journey into the Science of Mind Over Body by Jo Marchant  | ★★★★
Having a Martha House the Mary Way by Sarah Mae  | ★★★★
A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan  | ★★★
Thirty Days to Thirty by Courtney Psak  | ★★★
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell  | ★★★☆☆
Foundation by Issac Asimov  | ★★★
Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes  | ★★★☆☆
The Rhyming Diary of Jason Smith by Trevor Cattell  | ★★★
The Scripture of Golden Eternity by Jack Kerouac  | ★★★
Ms. Marvel Infinite #1 by Willow G. Wilson  | ★★☆☆☆
Extras by Scott Westerfeld  | ★★☆☆☆

What did you enjoy reading this month?

The post What I Read | January first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

2 comments:

  1. What were your thoughts on The Tipping Point? My husband thinks I would enjoy it but I haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed The Tipping Point. It's packed with a lot of statistics (which I love) so if you're into that type of read, I think you'll like this one. :)

    ReplyDelete