Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Dear Me | A Letter to My 45-Year-Old Self

A letter to my 45-year-old self #dearme - A Simpler Grace
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown

Dear 45-Year-Old Me,


Stop what you are doing right now. Look around you and appreciate where you are. If you aren't happy there, go where you are happy. If I know you as well as I think I do, that will probably be outside, maybe somewhere by the water. Dip your fingers in that water. Reach out and touch nature. Experience it. Take a deep breath and savor the smell. Listen to each sound. Taste the fresh air and relax. Enjoy it! Look around you and know you are exactly where you're supposed to be.

Think about where you are in your life and how hard you've worked to get there. Be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished, but also be grateful. Don't ever forget the people who have helped you along the way. Think about the obstacles you've overcome - all the heartache and struggle; all those days you thought you'd never amount to anything. Then think about those moments of sheer endurance and determination. That woman hiding under there is unstoppable.

Now I want you to pick up the phone and call the people you love. If you are lucky, they are all still in your life. Make sure they know how you feel about them. Don't ever let another moment go by without telling people you love them. Open your calendar and set some dates with your loved ones. Get everyone together to have a meal like you used to. Don't make or accept excuses about being too busy or life being hectic. Make it happen. These moments will soon pass you by and then they'll be gone forever.

Next, I want you to look at the man whose hand you hold every day. Don't ever let go of that hand. Don't take it for granted. Make sure he knows how much he means to you and always take good care of his heart. Do not let that relationship get rusty and oxidize as the time slips by you. Don't let the space created by busy schedules and mundane routines separate your hearts. Choose him every day. Love him more every second. Put the work in to keep that love from going stale.

Ten years ago, you made a promise to yourself. You promised that you'd stop putting so much effort into things that don't bring you joy, and I hope you are still living by that principle. I hope are putting aside your fear of failure and making those blind leaps of faith to reach your goals. I hope you are still embracing the mess rather than trying to be perfect and aren't settling for mediocrity, but instead working hard to make a difference in the world. I hope you are still chasing big dreams but also living in each moment because it's only this very moment you are promised.

Love,
Your Younger Self

The post Dear Me | A Letter to My 45-Year-Old Self first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

27 comments:

  1. This is such an insightful post. I've seen letters to my past self before but never would have thought to write one to my future self. You encompassed all of the pieces of you that you hope to be and all of the life you hope to live in the next ten years so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lecy, this is such a wonderful letter and I could easily apply it to myself! Love all of it - it's a huge motivation! Thank you! xxx
    P.S. Follow your dreams! Always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lecy <3 This one got me in the feels today. This, in particular: "Now I want you to pick up the phone and call the people you love. If you are lucky, they are all still in your life."

    I once wrote a letter to my younger self... but I love the concept of writing to older me. Beautiful life advice. Moments really do pass us by too quickly; we have to make a conscious effort to feel, to love, to cook, to laugh, to spend time, and to enjoy nature and all around us <3 Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. The last paragraph especially. I hope you read this years from now and are touched by your powerful words! I think as we get older, we forget what our younger self wanted. What our younger self hoped for. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea- for yourself and for a blog post! I wrote a letter to my 30 year old self and sealed it for when I hit that age (three and a half years to go!). I'm actually really excited to read it. I think I wrote it when I was 23 and I have NO idea what I wrote now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually wrote a letter to my 16-year-old self about two years ago and it's still one of my most popular posts to date! It's interesting to think about the advice we'd share with our past or future selves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true! I wrote a letter to my 16-year-old self about two years ago and one of my goals was to do one for the future me. They are fun to do but also thought-provoking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, friend! I actually printed out a copy of this letter and have it sealed in an envelope to read on my 45th birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I printed a copy of this off and sealed it up for my 45th birthday. I love anything "time capsulish" that reminds us of who we used to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. Very inspiring and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful! And it's a great idea! I might have to do this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone else writes letters to their younger selves - I love this alternate take. I feel a twinge of inspiration myself! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ii wrote one to myself (the first post in my Letters series) about two years ago and it was super fun to do, so I wanted to try one for the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ashley StephensonMarch 21, 2017 at 2:57 PM

    Love the idea of writing to your older self! Would be fun to write and then read years later!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's the plan! Thanks for reading Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Berniedette PetiteAndTonedMarch 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM

    Such a beautiful letter you wrote to yourself. I'm thinking that perhaps I'll do the same. What's scary is to think that at the age of 45, some folks we love will no longer be around =/ but I do love how this letter is very inspirational!

    xoxo,

    Berniedette | PetiteAndToned.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for coming by to read it, Berniedette! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. i like this. so much better than letters to your younger self. i hope you don't mind, but i'm thinking of doing something like this later this month for my birthday. i'll certainly link this post to that one. i enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was such an interesting read from my perspective as a 43 year old woman. I thought about the things you mentioned...the way I spend my time, the man's hand I hold, reaching out to loved ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it would be a GREAT idea for a birthday post! Please let me know if you decide to write it. I'd love to come by to read!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for reading and leaving your sweet comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so sweet <3 I love this so much. IT's so important to keep out future selves loved and nurtured as life can get pretty rough at times <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very true. :) Thanks for reading, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  24. okay. here it is.

    http://www.smartassdirect.com/2017/03/a-letter-to-my-forty-four-year-old-self.html

    ReplyDelete