Wednesday, March 08, 2017

What I Read | February + FREE Spring Reading List Printable

 A look back at what I read last month + free printable #whatIread



Bookworms! We meet again to talk about the February books we devoured and I have some great ones this month. It's also time to switch out the old reading list for a new fresh sheet for spring. You can see a photo of how I use mine and download a copy for yourself at the bottom of this post. I'd love to hear which books stood out to you in February and what you'd recommend I pick up in March, so be sure to leave a comment below!
Must Read

Difficult Women by Roxane Gay | ★★★★
Award-winning author and powerhouse talent Roxane Gay burst onto the scene with An Untamed State—which earned rave reviews and was selected as one of the best books of the year by the Washington Post, NPR, the Boston Globe, and Kirkus—and her New York Times bestselling essay collection Bad Feminist (Harper Perennial). Gay returns with Difficult Women, a collection of stories of rare force and beauty, of hardscrabble lives, passionate loves, and quirky and vexed human connection.

The women in these stories live lives of privilege and of poverty, are in marriages both loving and haunted by past crimes or emotional blackmail. A pair of sisters, grown now, have been inseparable ever since they were abducted together as children and must negotiate the marriage of one of them. A woman married to a twin pretends not to realize when her husband and his brother impersonate each other. A stripper putting herself through college fends off the advances of an overzealous customer. A black engineer moves to Upper Michigan for a job and faces the malign curiosity of her colleagues and the difficulty of leaving her past behind. From a girls’ fight club to a wealthy subdivision in Florida where neighbors conform, compete, and spy on each other, Gay delivers a wry, beautiful, haunting vision of modern America reminiscent of Merritt Tierce, Jamie Quatro, and Miranda July. - Goodreads description

This collection of short stories did so many things for me. It made me think about my privilege, my place in this world. my idea of feminism and how I view other women's circumstances. I could rave forever about it, but I'll simply say it is a must-read.

Noteworthy

Metamorphoses by Ovid | ★★★★
Metamorphoses (from Greek μετά meta and μορφή morphē, meaning "changes of shape"), is a Latin narrative poem in fifteen books describing the history of the world from its creation to the deification of Julius Caesar within a loose mythico-historical framework. Completed in AD 8, it is recognized as a masterpiece of Golden Age Latin literature. 

This cohesive collection of stories from Greek and Roman mythology recounts tales of recorded transformations. Comprised of over fifty stories, it chronicles the legends of King Midas, Daedalus, Icarus, Hercules, and the Trojan War. - Goodreads description

One of my goals for this year is to read more ancient classics and Greek mythology and I'm really glad I picked this one up. It had such an interesting and thought-provoking concept of humans and animals and Greek gods all morphing into other beings throughout their lives. The writing was superb and it was surprisingly easy to read. One of my favorites from this genre.

Other mentions for the month of February:

The Iliad by Homer  | ★★★★
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson  | ★★★★
The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace  | ★★★★
Loving Bravely by Alexandra Solomon  | ★★★★
Ivy in Bloom by Vanita Oelschlager  | ★★★★
Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta  | ★★★★
Atonement by Ian McEwan  | ★★★☆☆

What I Read | February + FREE Spring Reading List Printable - A Simpler Grace


And as promised, I'm sharing access to my spring reading list printable. I use this print every season to keep track of the books I want to read. I hang it on a clipboard by my bookcase and check off the books as I go. Hope you enjoy using it!



What did you enjoy reading this month?

The post What I Read | February + FREE Spring Reading List Printable first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

30 comments:

  1. These look like awesome books! I need to start reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like some interesting books to read! I will have to put a couple on my reading list! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for good books to read. I especially like Anne Fraser and Kendra Elliot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love finding now books to add to my reading list. Difficult Women sounds like something I could definitely get in too. I'll have to give it a look-see. :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    Christie's Take on Life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina DeGrandeMarch 8, 2017 at 8:16 PM

    These all sound like great reads! Having just started my blog, I've been reading a lot of books to help steer me in the right direction and help me clarify my vision. Right now I'm reading She Means Business by Carrie Green. It's awesome so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Difficult Women' sounds so interesting! Thanks for the recommendation.

    Alix | www.apintsizedlifeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these book reviews! One of my goals has been to read more books, so I always enjoy hearing people's book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read either author. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a great book. Best wishes with the new blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome! Thanks for coming by to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you read a lot of classics! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome run through of all these great books! I loved bridge to terabithia!!! I read it when I was younger in elementary school it's one of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read the atonement yet, so i'm definitely thinking of putting it up on my list now! Thanks for the putting up reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is perfect because I have been needing some new books in my life, I just never know where to look! Loved reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all those book reviews! tbh I've never heard about any of those so Im excited to check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately haven't read anything this month yet...but now I have this awesome go-to list of suggestions! :P

    Are you a Goodreads user? I recently blogged about the 2017 Reading Challenge (http://www.lifewithisabelle.com/2017-reading-challenge/) Would love to follow what you're reading if you're on the site as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had time to read as much as you do! I feel like I barely have the chance to just get a decent night's worth of sleep! My goal this summer is to really focus on reading more, and I love the book reviews you write. Thanks for encouraging me to get back to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read it so many times when I was a kid. I have a goal to read 10 books I loved as a child and that is one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you are able to find a few favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am on Goodreads! I just send you a friend request. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have insomnia so I always have plenty of time to read. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm seriously impressed that you manage to get through so many books. I used to read SO much in high school, I need to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete