Tuesday, April 25, 2017

#Collaboreads | Young Adult Novel

#Collaboreads | Young Adult Novel - A Simpler Grace



Good day, friends. I'm back again to join Rachel and Kristin in another #Collaboreads post. This month, we are talking about a young adult novel we read this month. Other than the really popular series like Divergent and The Hunger Games, I've never been a big fan of young adult fiction before, so I was hesitant to select just any book for this month's prompt. I did happen to have a YA novel on my reading list this year, and I thought it was a great opportunity to give it a shot! Keep reading to see what my thoughts were.

#Collaboreads | Young Adult Novel - A Simpler Grace

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows. - Goodreads description

RIVETING
What part of the book could you not get enough of?

The whole plotline was really interesting to me and it grabbed you from the very first page. It starts out with young Jacob learning of his grandfather's mysterious past and finding old photographs of some very peculiar characters. Everyone else thinks his grandfather is crazy until Jacob starts experiencing some of the same things the old man once told him about.

ELEMENTS
How did you relate to/care for the characters? What are your thoughts on the plot line and twists and turns?

All of the characters were so fun and quirky and their individual personalities were very well developed. I really grew to love each of them because of their unique peculiarities and these characteristics made it easy to tell them apart, which is not always the case in books with a large cast. One of my favorites in this book is Millard Nullings, an invisible boy who often runs around nude, as he is only seen by others when he has clothes on. As I mentioned above, the plot flowed flawlessly from one element to the next and while some of the twists could be seen ahead of time (by a more mature reader's eye) there were some surprises along the way. This series was originally "sold" to me by other readers as a suspenseful or scary collection, and it might be for younger readers, but I didn't find that to be the case.

ASSOCIATE
What other books are like this one? If none, did it remind you of a particular tv show or movie with its themes and characters? Does it serendipitously line up with things going on in your life or in the news right now?

Harry Potter. If you are a fan of the wizard and his friends, I think you'll really enjoy this book and probably the series. I also thought about the movie X-Men: Apocalypse, specifically Xavier's School for the Gifted, which housed all the young X-Men before they honed in on their gifts.

DESIGN
You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think of it? How did it relate to the contents of the novel? And the font and layout of the pages?

I listened to the audiobook but I believe the book covers were all an old photograph of Olive Abroholos Elephanta, the levitating girl from Miss Peregrine's home. It is a spooky image and hints at the mysterious quality of the storyline.

STARS | ★★★★
Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not?

I do recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading YA fiction or just likes a fun mystery. While this is geared toward younger readers, I don't think the writing style was so elementary that it can't be enjoyed by more mature book lovers. I found it very fun and exciting.

This post is part of the #Collaboreads linkup with Rachel and Kristin. For more info on how you can participate, visit Rachel's page for details.

The post #Collaboreads | Young Adult Novel first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

19 comments:

  1. I'm not much into YA novels myself, but I heard about this book and I am intrigued to give it a try! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm glad you were able to stop by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie Scott ThorneApril 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM

    I love reading...but not much YA. Maybe I'll give it a try, I do love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a big YA fan but really enjoyed this one. I can't wait to continue with the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. young adult titles i have loved: eleanor and park by rainbow rowell; the fault in our stars by john green; wonder by r.j. palacio; we are okay by nina lacour; everything everything by nicola yoon; thirteen reasons why by jay asher; if i stay and where she went by gayle forman; a school for unusual girls by kathleen baldwin; finding paris by joy preble; and the truth about alice by jennifer mathieu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to read a lot of YA and fantasy, but I remember not really liking this book much and deciding to forego the next two in the series... I'm glad you enjoyed it, though! (And I wish I could remember why I didn't like it... It's somewhere on my blog. Ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything by John Green will always be my eternal love. I adored Eleanor & Park! Have you read The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon? So good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so interesting to me how books resonate with some people and less with others. I'm curious which YA books you'd recommend, because I haven't read many and would love to pick up some more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you linked up today!! I've heard such great things about this one, but I've never picked it up. Your review makes it sound so interesting -- I'm adding it to my "to-read" list now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES to Eleanor & Park and both Nicola Yoon novels -- so, so good. I actually just finished reading Wonder (it's my 10 year old's favorite book) and I'm almost finished with the companion series. They might be my favorite reads so far this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for co-hosting this fun link-up with Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wonder what the line is for YA novels. A good story is a good story, right? And I don't always have to read about 45-ish dads who can't run as fast as they once did. Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about this series but have never read it, I kind of want to check it out now (I'm a bit of a closet YA fan)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't agree more, Eli. If you enjoy a book, you enjoy it, regardless of the genre or who it was written for. Thanks so much for coming by to read and leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should, Beth! It was a really fun story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you should check out the physical book - all the photos are cool. I really liked the first book but I need to read the rest. And I've always loved YA - there is no hard age limit. It can be loved by all.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't realize the book had all the photos in it. That's really cool! And I agree about YA fiction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You'll have to let me know what you think. I loved that one!

    ReplyDelete