Thursday, April 13, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 11

A conversation over coffee #coffeedates



If you and I had coffee...

I'd order a frozen cappuccino - it's been warm enough for one lately - and we'd go strolling along a pebbled path through the park. The weather has been glorious, but mother nature has been a real pill lately, so it wouldn't surprise me if we jumped back into to tundra-like temperatures again before summer gets here. We'd better take advantage of these days when we get them.
If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I've been on a major reading kick lately. I just hit my fifty-book mark for the year and am on track to meeting my goal of two hundred books in 2017. Thanks to my decision to diversify my bookshelf, I've been picking up some books that wouldn't have made my stack the last few years, and I'm so glad I'm getting a chance to read the work of some pretty amazing authors. The only problem I'm running into is that I literally want to read all the books now and am only able to fit in so many in a week. I'd ask you how you chose which books to read. Whether you have a list you stick to or if you stay on trend and pick up the book everyone is reading at the moment. I'm so curious to know!

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you if you've ever felt like there was some purpose you were meant for - something big - but you didn't know how to open yourself up and allow the process to begin. I keep getting this heavy, nagging feeling that I'm supposed to write something, but I just can't take the next step. I don't know what it is, maybe an article or a story or a book... I can see the outline of the map, but the details are blurred and faded. I have several writing projects up in the air at the moment, but none of them feel like they are THE ONE. I'd ask you if you had any suggestions for getting past the block I have or if I should concentrate on my current projects and assume that some divine intervention will occur when I'm ready to pursue the big one.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you what you've been watching on television lately. I have not been a big fan of t.v. for the last few years, but my man recently got me hooked on this series called Shameless. Hardcore hooked. We originally watched it together, then he was out of town for a few weeks and we watched a few episodes apart with the understanding that we'd continue watching together when he returned. Yeah, well, I'm now a whole season ahead of him and I'm dying because I want someone to talk to about all that happened in the last few episodes. You know the feeling... You just need to work through all the twists and turns.

Why this show, you ask? The plot is pretty ridiculous: six kids - with a deadbeat drunk father and a mother who ran off on them years before - who have to band together and make do on their own. What I love about the show (other than the great writing, amazing actors and the fact that it will make you laugh until you pee yourself and cry your eyes out in the same episode) is the dynamic between the siblings. They range in age from mid-twenties to toddler and they are as tightly tied as I am with my siblings. Trust me, the show will give you all the feels.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask if you had plans for the holiday weekend. I'd tell you about our big family Easter dinner we have planned and that I'll be cooking a lot of the side dishes, like usual. We usually do an Easter egg hunt for the kids and I get to stuff and hide the eggs then take pictures as the kids go running through the yard collecting them all. My (then, one-year-old) nephew was the cutest last Easter when, not only did he find a basket full of plastic eggs in the backyard, but, to his surprise, they also had CANDY in them! 

If you and I had coffee...

We'd wind our way back out of the park and head for home, but not before a hug and a promise to have coffee again next month.


What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 11 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

38 comments:

  1. I would have to answer your question about a purpose. My life has changed due to an unwanted divorce after 37 yrs of marriage. I want to help other women on this painful path but not really sure how. I have written my first book and have a blog focused on this subject but things sure are not clear for me. I keep pressing on and pray a lot:-) Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be drinking a cold press coffee because it's my favorite. I'd tell you that I love Shameless! It's one of those shows that is so bad it's good. And I'd tell you that my holiday plans involve getting both sides of our family together for an Easter brunch after the morning church service. And that I still need to finish my son's Easter basket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I cannot believe that you have already read fifty books so far this year. You go girl! Two hundred books in one year just boggles my mind, how do you fit it in? What are your favorite books you've read so far this year? I feel so inspired to read more, now. If we had coffee, I would order a decaf, because I am twenty weeks pregnant, and shouldn't drink too much caffeine. I dearly miss it, though! The last time I had a cup of coffee, I felt baby moving like crazy, and I knew that baby was feeling that caffeine, so I stopped. But decaf isn't quite the same. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke @ wreckingroutineApril 13, 2017 at 9:13 AM

    200 books?! That is amazing! I am trying to get back to reading and set a yearly goal of 10 books. Any favorites in the 50 you have read so far?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your "if I had coffee with you" posts. I seriously feel like I am having coffee with you and we are just chatting like friends.
    I am jealous of your reading kick. I need to find time. I started Shameless and I thought it was pretty funny. I will finish it once I get moved into my new house and settled. Have a great Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kathy! I'm glad to have some company in this boat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right about Shameless! Easter brunch sounds lovely. I remember, as a kid, always going to the sunrise service with my grandparents and then going out for a big lunch. Hope you and your family have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read all the time. I listen to audiobooks while I'm working or doing chores around the house and I have terrible insomnia, so I do a lot of reading in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. The big standout book of 2017 for me so far is The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. It was so good. And I agree - decaf is just not the same. Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I LOVE reading. The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is the standout book for the first quarter of the year. That will definitely be in the running for my top 10 of 2017. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Kim! I love writing these kinds of posts because it gives me a chance to work through some things that are on my heart or things I'm enjoying and want to share with friends. Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is seriously such a great idea! Right now I'm catching up on Game of thrones and I just finished Big Little Lies which was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shameless is my favorite! Love that show. I keep going back and forth on who is my favorite character, but I think Lip wins out pretty consistently. Glad you like it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started Big Little Lies! I love Reese Witherspoon and Shailene Woodley, so I had to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! Lip is the one who seems to be selflessly giving to that family non-stop. He always does what it takes to keep them afloat. That said, I can totally relate to Fiona because I'm the oldest in a large family, so I know her struggle too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh! I'd get a Venti Chai Tea Latte and we could totally discuss TV. I'm a serial binge watcher. Shameless is GREAT! I'm almost caught up! I think I have 10 more episodes to binge watch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shameless is my jam! I need to rewatch the last season of Game of Thrones before the next season starts and catch up on Vikings. I love these posts. And I 100% get what you are saying about feeling your purpose but not knowing where to start. Im there with you girl! Have a wonderful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post. I've watched random episodes of Shameless over the years, but never a full season. I really like what I know though! :)

    I'm not really doing anything for Easter. Hopefully the weather will be nice so I can hang out outside though!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Shameless! I'm just starting season 4. Started watching last month and am slowly working my way through. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woohoo! Another Shameless fan! I've not gotten into GOT. I really want to read the books before watching the show, but they are sooooo long. Hope you have a great Thursday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so worth watching the seasons of Shameless straight through. I'm so addicted! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Frank is the absolute best character in a TV show ever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this post too! Your family Easter egg hunt sounds like so much fun... I can't wait until we have some little ones around to do those kinds of activities with. Hope you have a fantastic Easter break!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a fun way to get to know you more and keep up with you! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness. I can read these posts so differently now, after learning your story. Especially your Easter plans. <3 I'd DIE for a walk through a park with an iced coffee lately. I'd tell you how our landlord dropped the "we're selling the house you're living in" bomb on me last Friday, after a particularly LONG morning of yelling at the kids (and I mean YELLING...insert shame face) and wondering what to do then. But then I'd tell you I'm actually feeling at peace about it because God has so graciously provided all the past times that we've had crunch times to get out of our places...and then I could tell you that my grandma graciously offered to purchase a house for us to rent to own from her and that we would be moving soon. Packing is under way. I'd share with you how little I enjoy doing Easter because extended family is so awkward to me and we always go to my husband's side which makes it even harder and pushes me so far out of my comfort zone I want to shrivel up. I'd tell you the kids and I have been on a major documentary binge lately. My oldest loves to watch nature shows and I'm TOTALLY down with that! And when we talked about books, I'd tell you that I have a difficult time finishing books unless they are super simple and casually written. Or Dee Henderson or Colleen Cobel books. I can read all of those - they're my absolute favorites!!! Can't wait for our next coffee date! <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, girl! Talk about STRESS! I hope your move goes smoothly and you get settled in and can enjoy a somewhat peaceful Easter. You know I'm always around if you need to chat. Love ya, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Penny @ pennyspassion.blogspotApril 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM

    Wow -- you have really read a ton of books! I'm hoping to get one a month done. lol Have a fabulous Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, Penny! Hope you have a wonderful Easter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes! I have been on a reading kick too. I just finished my third. And yes, it was Harry Potter and those are easy reads, but I am still stunned that I have made it through one book this year-much less three!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I go through the same thing, I feel like I am supposed to write this big, meaningful book, but I can't figure out what is stopping me or where to start <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. If we were having coffee, I'd order an iced one because, as you mentioned, weather is turning and I am so grateful I can put away the coats and the jackets and the scarves!

    If we were having coffee, I'd tell you that I choose books based on recommendations from friends, what I've heard about on GoodReads, and what's on Kindle Bestseller list!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just read the first HP book (for the first time) and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to get into the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a frustrating feeling! I don't like waiting, but am having to learn how to do it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yay for warmer weather and iced coffee! I would be lost if it weren't for friends' book recommendations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a fun post, and now I am really wanting some coffee. I am really excited for our Easter dinner, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I need some coffee too. Thanks for stopping by, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is my first time too. I am reading through the 4th book now. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete