Monday, April 03, 2017

Simple Gratitude | 71

Today I'm sharing my #gratefulheart on the blog #gratitude #feelingthankful



"Many people lose the small joys in the hope for the big happiness." - Pearl S. Buck

I used to be one of those people who was always waiting for something big to happen. I was never satisfied with the little joys in my life because they never measured up to that big happiness I was sure would come sooner or later. In fact, most of the time, I didn't even see the little joys. I missed out on a lot. Don't be one of those people. If and/or when your big happiness comes, enjoy it then, but don't let those little joys pass you by.

This week, I'm grateful for:
  • Used bookstores. My brother and I made a trip to the local used bookstore (that's over an hour away) and traded a few reads in before doing some shopping... We left with over fifty books and only spent $20. This made my weekend.
  • Healthy white chicken chili. I was craving some cornbread this weekend, so I made a big pan but needed something to go with it. I tossed some ingredients in the crockpot and worked up a new recipe for a creamy but healthy white chicken chili. It was so delicious. I might be able to make some room to share it on the blog soon...
  • Farmers' market season! Our local farmers' markets opened the first weekend in April, so I will be frequenting them every week and stocking up on spring and summer produce. I love cooking with natural, locally-grown foods when the weather is warmer and can't wait to try out some new recipes I've been thinking up.
  • Writing goals. Starting tomorrow, I'll be writing a short story every day for the next one hundred days and I'm pumped. Let's do this!
  • A new friend. For the last few days, a bluebird has been perching on a tree branch just outside my window. I've never seen a bird there before and there doesn't appear to be a nest nearby, but he hangs out and looks at my window as if he knows I'm looking back at him. He reminds me of a song I learned in kindergarten, "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" in which there's a line that says, "there's a bluebird on my shoulder..." 

What are you grateful for today? 

The post Simple Gratitude | 71 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

22 comments:

  1. I love used bookstores! I also visited my local Farmers Market last weekend and it was the best! I plan on joining the 100 Day Project as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to cheer so loudly for this post because I'm a huge believer in finding gratitude in the little things, too. There is always something to be happy for if we choose to find it and believe it.

    YAY for Farmer's Markets. We have a little cafe/farmer's market that stays open year round here (it's all indoors) that is my happy place. Healthy White Chicken Chili sounds super awesome, too! I may need that recipe. I'll be on the look out for it soon!

    Happy Tuesday! I hope your day is full of the small things that make you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get insanely excited about the Farmer's Market too. It's always nice to see and meet some of the local farmers and purchase healthy produce that I know isn't sprayed with god knows what. Bonus--we get to bring our pup and sample fresh goods from the local bakery :)

    I love that re: writing for 100 days! What a wonderful brain exercise--best of luck to you!

    Hope you have a great week, momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Used bookstores and farmers' markets are the best! How fun that you are joining the 100 Day Project. What kind of project will you be doing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, girl! Sounds like we have a lot in common! Leslie, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many good things about farmers' markets! I love knowing my produce was just picked and didn't sit in a truck for days before it landed on my table and yay for being able to take the pup shopping with you! Thanks for coming by, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Used bookstores and farmers markets are exactly how I love to spend my weekends. We went to this amazing bookstore in Asheville, NC that served wine. I was like, "Did I die and go to heaven?!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so pumped for Farmer's Market season! I love walking around and seeing what everyone has! And it's fun to people watch too. Used bookstores are the BEST. If I can't find something at the library that's usually my next stop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What??? I need to locate this bookstore ASAP! I would probably buy twice as many books if mine served alcohol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. PERFECT place to people-watch! There are so many different kinds of people who frequent the markets and that's eye candy for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to get back to the farmers market! It really is a magical place. So much gratitude in the little things. Have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for coming by today, Trish! Hope you have a great week as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the farmers market is such a wonderful delight after eating plucked unripe veggies and fruits from the grocery store. UGH. Nothing worse than cutting into a RED strawberry and seeing it totally white on the inside. I just love the smell of it in there. Ours doesn't pop up until June I believe so we have a bit of a ways to go.
    And what a book find! I would be in heaven carrying so many books out of there like that! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. fifty books for twenty bucks! that's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got some of those very same strawberries last week. So disappointing! The ones that come fresh from the farm are always the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We got such a deal! These books will keep us busy for the next month or so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. there is a superstition in my culture that if a bird is looking at you and comes back, it's actually someone that you love that has passed on thats checking up on you :)
    im grateful for spring break and naps in the middle of the day with my kids... i totally take napping for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. shootingstarsmagApril 4, 2017 at 6:23 PM

    I LOVE used bookstores. :) Your 100 days project goal is exciting. Best of luck!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the little things! It's easy to get distracted and forget sometimes. Love the sound of that little bluebird - so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That superstition totally makes sense to me! Yay for spring break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so easy to get distracted and forget to be grateful. :)

    ReplyDelete