Tuesday, April 04, 2017

What I Read | March

 A look back at what I read last month. #ASGbookshelf #whatIread



March was quite a month! I did so much reading - twenty books in all, but some aren't featured here because I haven't had time to review them on the publisher's sites yet. So many good books and I am already excited about the ones I have planned for this month. Let's jump right in!


Must Read

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon | ★★★★★
Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.


The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true? - Goodreads description

Wow. This was on-par with Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park. The main storyline is intricately woven with the life stories of the handful of characters that are both inspiring and heart-breaking and it is nothing short of beautiful. Fantastic read!

Noteworthy

After the Quake by Haruki Murakami | ★★★★
The six stories in Haruki Murakami’s mesmerizing collection are set at the time of the catastrophic 1995 Kobe earthquake, when Japan became brutally aware of the fragility of its daily existence. But the upheavals that afflict Murakami’s characters are even deeper and more mysterious, emanating from a place where the human meets the inhuman. 

An electronics salesman who has been abruptly deserted by his wife agrees to deliver an enigmatic package—and is rewarded with a glimpse of his true nature. A man who has been raised to view himself as the son of God pursues a stranger who may or may not be his human father. A mild-mannered collection agent receives a visit from a giant talking frog who enlists his help in saving Tokyo from destruction. As haunting as dreams, as potent as oracles, the stories in After the Quake are further proof that Murakami is one of the most visionary writers at work today. - Goodreads description

This is my first go at Murakami and I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Each story grabs your attention pretty quickly and leaves you wanting more when it is over. Some of the stories are based in reality whereas others are leaning into the magical realism genre - "Superfrog" being the heaviest of the six. I loved them all but "Thailand" really resonated with me. From what I've read, some of the characters from this book are also featured in other collections of short stories and novels, so I look forward to discovering those ties as I continue reading his work. 

Other mentions for the month of March:

Make It Happen by Lara Casey  | ★★★★★
Art of Pie by Kate McDermott  | ★★★★★
Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta  | ★★★★
The Color Purple by Alice Walker  | ★★★★
Write to Influence by Carla Bass  | ★★★★
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger  | ★★★★
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld  | ★★★
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway  | ★★★
The Naked Muse by Kelley Swain  | ★★★
The Cutting Season by Attica Locke  | ★★★☆☆
In Memory of Bread by Paul Graham  | ★★★☆☆
A Place of Yes by Bethenny Frankel  | ★★★
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie  | ★★☆☆☆
Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis  | ☆☆☆

What did you enjoy reading last month?

The post What I Read | March first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

18 comments:

  1. 20 books in a month? Wow, you go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Sun is Also a Star, too! It was beautiful. I loved the ending, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was SO GOOD! I now need to read everything else Nicola Yoon has ever written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read a few first pages before I even choose a book to read, or if a celeb or friend of mine say a book is good I'll believe it and buy it. I'm still looking to read this title called "Spilled Milk" I can't find anywhere. I must read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading a couple of chick lit review books and then I think I want to reread 13 Reasons Why. Because for some reason I'm in the mood to cry buckets.

    Sounds like I need to check out The Sun is Also a Star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to read The Sun is Also a Star. Eleanor and Park is one of my all time favorite young adult novels, so the comparison intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. shootingstarsmagApril 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM

    I really need to read Nicola Yoon! I'm so glad you loved The Sun is Also a Star. 20 books in one month is awesome!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. im going to come back to this post because i could really use some recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! 20 books, that's amazing! Hope you have a great weekend.

    xo, Jessy | www.currentbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard such great things about Spilled Milk and I noticed the Kindle version is on sale right now on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! The chick lit books sound like they'd be perfect for the beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you loved E&P, you will adore The Sun is Also a Star. It was SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Lauren! Reading is one of my favorite pastimes, so twenty books is a very happy month for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are able to find a few new favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Jessica! Hope you are having a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only read The Sun Also Rises and I would give it 3 stars too. I'll have to check out the others

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you are able to find a few new favorites, Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete