Tuesday, May 09, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 12

 A conversation over coffee #coffeedates



If you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up at one of those movie-in-the-park nights where you toss a blanket on the ground, camp out under the stars and watch an old film that is being projected on the whitewashed wall of one of the local buildings. It's really more of a social event than anything. Everyone goes to chat with their neighbors from down the street instead of watching the movie, but its fun all the same. I'd order a freshly-squeezed lemonade from the concession stand because they are so good and one would be perfect right about now.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask if you are planning on taking a summer vacation and if so, where to. I'd tell you that I've been thinking about a trip to the beach with my sister, her kids, and my brother. My niece and nephew have never seen the ocean before and I can remember how magical my first time was, so I'd love to be there when they get to put their feet in the Atlantic for the first time. My favorite thing to do when I'm on the shore is to go out on the fishing pier in the middle of the night, when the tide is in, and watch the sharks come in really close. I've even seen one of the fishermen reel in a baby shark once (that I got to pet) and it was one of the coolest experiences I've had.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I recently read this article and I got so annoyed by it. It's hard not think how vain of a society we are that we have to destroy national parks, monuments and other treasures for the sake of a selfie. We are in a time of "pic or it didn't happen" and I'll admit, sometimes it's nice to have a photo to look back on, but I don't think that warrants the ignorance and blatant disobedience of established rules at these sites. These resources are the only ones we get and I'm a believer in doing everything we can to preserve them for future generations. Besides, do we really want to be missing out on a moment so we can pull our cameras out and snap a shot?

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you how much truth you thought there was in the old saying "the stars aligned". I'd tell you that I kinda dig the idea of something unlikely, perhaps impossible, happening by nothing less than a stroke of fate. I'm a space nerd, so this idiom holds that much more importance for me. It's silly, but I picture a flash mob of stars out in the universe and there is one little star conductor who waves his baton and the stars all move to form a single-file line, then look down on me, smiling, knowing they've made something very important happen. I don't know if it's divine intervention, fate, luck or what, but I sure would like to know who or what orchestrates these little magical events we sometimes experience.

I'd also tell you that I've been blessed enough to have those stars align a few times in my life. The most recent time made me feel like I had electricity coursing through me and left this little heart of mine racing. Because we don't experience these events often, I can't help but think it's something I've got to hold onto... Right? Yeah, I don't think I can let this one go.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd kick back on the blanket and listen to the movie but watch the sky, maybe hoping to see that little star conductor work his magic. When the movie is over, we'd finish our drinks and fold the blanket. I'd give a hug and promise to set a date with you next month. By then, we'll be one step away from summer!

What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Amber & Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 12 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

32 comments:

  1. I've had one of those stars-aligning moments this year as well, it's amazing to look back and see how everything was working in just the right way to get to that point. God is so good and he's in control!

    No summer holiday for a while, cause I'm in the southern hemisphere and we're just getting into winter! But we are planning to go to Tasmania for a winter holiday in July :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Bella! It's neat to think about all the details that had to fall into place for that moment to happen. A trip to Tasmania sounds wonderful! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have June and July off So I am really looking forward to the summer, I think I will be spending a lot of time camping and enjoying the outdoors. So I am really grateful that I have these two months off of work! I had a stars align moment just the other day! Right as it was happening I knew it was for a reason and I can't to see how everything plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. shootingstarsmagMay 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM

    I do like the idea of stars aligning to make something amazing happen.

    Also, I love those movies in the park! I went to one last year but I'm hoping to make it to more this time around. I have a couple local parks that do this.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. seeing your niece and nephew see the ocean for the first time would be an amazing experience! I love that idea for a trip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie ParrellMay 9, 2017 at 8:28 AM

    Lovely post! I wish we had outdoor movies here, it sounds magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had the talent to write things like this like you do... congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica BradshawMay 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM

    Sounds so peaceful.

    I agree we are a vain society. If a sign is posted, it is so not ok to trespass. We have bluebonnets and wildflowers all over around here and people take photos all the time. They do die quicker and it's always sad, but there aren't any signs up like in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just got back from one trip to Branson and next month we'll be up at the headwaters of the Mississippi for a trip. I love the idea of going to one of those movie in the parks! I'm hoping to do that this summer in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindsay CarreiroMay 9, 2017 at 1:47 PM

    I would tell you I'm traveling this summer and that I'm just starting my 3rd graduate class for my MSW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The movie sounds lovely. I hope you get a chance to go to the beach with the family, that sounds like it would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went over to read that article and it breaks my heart. We're really doing a number of this one little planet that we have and it's scary to think that one day it probably won't be here anymore - and it will be our fault. I wish we as a society could do better by this home that we have - it's the only one we've got.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, spend as much time outdoors as possible! That's awesome that the stars aligned for you! It's a neat feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too! Movies in the park are a great way to spend a summer evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard it's a problem with the wildflowers in TX. It's such a shame people don't value things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun! Hope you have a great time in Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's awesome Lindsay! Hope you have fun in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it so sad? I wish people would value these national treasures more than they do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The saying "pic or it didn't happen" is so sad :(
    I recently deleted a whole bunch of photos on my phone by accident - some were of a recent weekend away. Thankfully I have the memories but more and more people are living through their photos and not in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love posts like this. It's a great way to have a conversation without being in person. If you and I had coffee I'd talk to you about how crazy life is and it seems to be flying by faster and faster. I'd tell you that we are thinking about having kids and how excited and nervous it makes me. I'd tell you that I'm looking forward to summer and all of our festivals. I'd ask how you are doing and what you are most excited about for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, kids!! That is a big decision and both exciting and scary. I love summer festivals and fairs. Hope you have a great week, Lexi!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is sad and we are now conditioned to take our phones out when we see something great and it makes me wonder how we survived thirty years ago. I will note that my memories from before the cell phone era are much more vivid than the ones now. I think phones are more of a distraction than memory keeping devices.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this feature, very beautifully written and makes me few curious and inspired 😊

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for coming by to read, Cody!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this! So sweet and smart.

    ReplyDelete
  26. okay. yeah. that article pissed me off, too. there are sections of campus at texas a&m where walking on the grass is forbidden, and no one there seems to have an issue with keeping off the grass. that's not a national park. that's just a strip of grass outside the msc or wherever. but these! these are national parks. they're protected for. a. reason. goddamn. i'm incensed. people are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Right!?! People are so selfish. They don't care about things that don't affect them and as long as they get their photograph, that's all that matters. Uugh!!! It makes me angry. Glad I'm not the only one who cares!

    ReplyDelete