Tuesday, June 13, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 13

 A conversation over coffee #coffeedates
If you and I had coffee...

We'd make up a couple of glasses of strong iced cafe and take them out to sit next to the pool. It's been hot outside lately and the breeze is perfect under the big canopy umbrella. We could sit on the edge of the deck and dangle our feet in the water for a bit or jump right in and grab a float to recline on. Whatever we choose, catching some Vitamin D rays will be a great way to spend the day.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I really struggled to get out of bed this morning and come meet you. Without wanting to sound like a wet mop, I'd just say that depression sucks and it makes even the most pleasant things so difficult to do. I did, however, manage to find the strength to rise and get a workout in and then take a shower because no matter how crummy I feel, I know I would regret missing one of our dates. Our conversations are always so uplifting and you always make me feel better when I leave than when I arrived.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that after having such a productive month in May, it's been so hard not being as productive this month. It's mostly because of the current state of my mental health and I realize I can't pile too much on my plate until this passes and that's not easy for me to do. I'm a type A person and have always been a believer that everything on the to-do list needs to be checked off that day, or else. Not quite sure what the "or else" is, but I'm having to learn to give myself some grace while I'm not feeling myself and practice some self-care instead.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that this candle has been my everything. It's soothing yet energizing and I find myself lighting it as often as I can. It's been perfect in the evenings when I do my unwind yoga flow. While we're on the topic of yoga, have you met Adriene? She's the queen of yoga on YouTube and she has a practice for any ailment, including a lot of calming routines for anxiety or an overstressed mind. I'd tell you how very grateful I am for Adriene and how much self-love I've learned just from sitting through some of her videos.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you if you've seen the new Wonder Woman movie yet and if so, what you thought of it. I'd tell you that I've been dying to see it but I'm usually a wait-until-it-comes-out-on-DVD type of movie watcher. I might have to make an exception for this one though. I'd also ask you what your favorite movie snacks are and if you buy them from the concession stand or sneak them in with you (I won't rat you out. Promise!) I'm a Twizzler or Swedish Fish fan, BUT... and this is a big but. I have to remove them from the package before the movie starts. I can not stand the crackly wrappers when I'm trying to watch a movie. This might be one of the reasons I don't like movie theaters...

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I've been working on writing some essays lately. There was a time when I'd write essays here on the blog about a topic that was on my heart. These were some of my most raw and unfiltered pieces of writing but also some of my most popular posts and for some reason, I strayed away from them for a bit. I suppose one of the benefits of struggling with a dark and cloudy mind is that you ponder all the things (a.k.a. the meaning of life) and formulate a lot of thoughts on said things. So, I'd tell you that I'm now planning to share some of these thoughts on the blog. Soon. So, stay tuned.

If you and I had coffee...

We'd get out of the water and dry off before we turned into sun-burnt lobsters. We'd finish the last sips of our coffees and head back into the air conditioning of the house. I'd send you off with a hug and a promise to meet up again next month. By then, we'll be in the dog days of summer!


What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 13 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

30 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your depression. Mental illnesses are horrible to go through but I hope you can find time for self-care and rest in God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bella. That's kind of you to say. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie ParrellJune 13, 2017 at 7:58 AM

    I am a sun burnt lobster! I hope this month picks up a bit and thing get better :) Meditation has really been a life changer when it comes to depression in my life. Have you ever though about giving it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you and I had coffee, I'd tell you that you are a fuggen rock star for mustering up what ever strength you had to workout, take a shower AND to still have enough left to come visit me because I know that depression can suck the ever loving life out of you and can whisper evil things in your ear like "Don't bother getting out of bed today. You're not worth it."
    Because I have bipolar disorder and anxiety disorder and I battle these monsters quite frequently.
    Keep fighting it every day.
    Keep talking to whomever will listen - and there are people who will listen because you're not alone! You're not a soggy wet mop.
    If you and I had coffee, I'd listen....
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being depressed its never good, but we can always have amazing ways to defeat depression. So i am quite sure you can struggle and defeat depression.

    Loved this post!

    Normally i dont read too many posts, because i dont find a connection with it but this one e loved to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you and I had coffee, I'd tell you that I to have been struggling to get out of bed and lately most things have been difficult. Depression is difficult. Mine has rooted it's ugly head in the form of physical pain. Not sure how to get out of this rut but I will because this too shall pass. Thank you for your candor. It is refreshing and nice to have someone to relate too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. <3 Sending you love!

    I actually did end up seeing WonderWoman. Though I'm not much of a movie person - ESPECIALLY not an action-packed superhero type person - I actually really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny @ pennyspassion.blogspotJune 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM

    Go see that movie!! It's hot outside and that would be a perfect way to stay cool in the afternoon. I've gone to see movies a few times by myself and you know what, it's not that bad! Hope you have a fantastic rest of June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea for this series. If you and I had coffee, I'd tell you you are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hit the nail on the head - depression sucks. I can totally relate, friend, and I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs. I'm excited though about your essays, I can't wait to read them if you share on the blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Depression is so rough and you never know what kind of day you are going to have. I feel you. Hang in there. I will say that Wonder Woman is totally worth seeing in Theaters - it's SO good and made me feel SO empowered!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really hope you're feeling better soon Lecy. I'll look forward to reading your essays. The yoga you mentioned sounds awesome, I'm very keen to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. My fondest fantasy is to be able to have this type of conversation with my blogger-friends so you're fulfilling my wish to the greatest extend possible short of an actual meeting. Love hearing what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Stephanie. Yoga and meditation are a part of my daily routines, even more so when the depression hits. Definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much, friend. It does take a lot out of you but making myself get up and work out and shower are things that make me feel a little better. Just a little self-care can go a long way. I appreciate your encouraging words! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you, Paulo. I am keeping the mindset that I'm not going to let it win. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling with this too. Keep fighting, friend. Don't ever let it get the best of you. I'm always around if you need to chat/vent/cry. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep hearing good things about the movie and I could use some girl power right about now, so maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks for stopping by, love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I might. It sounds like it would be a fun time. Thanks and hope you have a good remainder of June too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much, Mia. And I will be sharing the essays here. I'm excited about getting back to them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, friend! I think I'm going to see it this weekend. That's exactly what I need in my life right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much, friend. You should check the yoga videos out. I am in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is so sweet of you to say! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that you do this. I am so sorry that depression has been happening for you. I know that has to be so hard. Praying you come out of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love these kinds of posts! I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet but I'm DYING to see it!! Everyone says it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Iced coffee by the pool under an umbrella? I'll be right there!

    ReplyDelete