Monday, June 12, 2017

Simple Gratitude | 81

Today I'm sharing my #gratefulheart on the blog #gratitude #feelingthankful



Good morning. Does anyone else agree that the weekend was not long enough? Well, sadly, Monday is here, so pour yourself an extra cup (or two) and lean in. Let's work on conquering this week together, shall we? 

This week, I'm grateful for:
  • My "pennies" from Heaven. Last week, Amber Thomas shared a story on Instagram about pennies. She talked about how, in the tough times in her family's life, God would send them fallen pennies as a reminder of his working in their lives, even when they weren't feeling it. She equated it to a love language from God and how you just needed to tell him what your language was and then watch what he did. At the end of her story, she showed the handful of fallen pennies she'd found since she and her husband had taken in their sweet foster daughter at the beginning of the year. Her story was such a blessing and a great reminder that God is working behind the scenes, all the time, and guess what? I counted half a dozen of my "pennies" just this weekend. :)
  • Friends who aren't afraid to speak the truth to me. You guys, I was feeling pretty down in the dumps last week. I'm talking, feeling like a complete failure at everything I was doing, but one of my very close friends got me on the phone and pulled me out of the hole I was digging for myself. It's been a tough couple of weeks. The anxiety is back with her old friend depression and hopelessness has been so close I can almost touch it. I am so lucky to have people in my life who know the best way to help me when I can't always help myself. (So thanks, friend. You know who you are.)
  • Dairy Queen dates with my brother. You heard me right. I cheated on my clean/gluten-free diet in favor of a cookie dough blizzard. Just a small one and after the week I've had, I deserved it. Also of note, I did 120 squats that day and double my normal ab workout, so there. (Is that enough excuses?) Another note. After I finished said small cookie dough blizzard, I felt awful, so that won't be happening again anytime soon.
  • One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak. I've already read (listened) to this book three times, but it's funny and makes me think, so I'm reading it again. The audiobook is awesome because Novak and company (Mindy Kaling, Katy Perry, Jason Schwartzman, Jenna Fischer, etc.) read these short stories. Trust me. Do it.
  • Evenings on the pool deck, watching the sun set. Need I say more?

What are you grateful for today? 

The post Simple Gratitude | 81 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

18 comments:

  1. I love your gratitude posts! I have recently started a gratitude journal that has changed my whole perspective and way of thinking. This past week I was grateful for good friends who gave me their honest advice. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im ready for the week. I think I am anyways! LOL The boys and I always find pennys. We only pick them up if they are heads. If they are tails, we flip them over and leave the good luck for the next person who finds it. Im looking forward to a sunset swim. Wish we had our own pool so we could enjoy it without any distractions though! Happy Monday girl. Im always around if you need to talk, I know of this deep dark place all to well! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those "penny" reminders from God. Just looking at my life I can see so many times when God has shown up in those little ways that I can see and shown me that awesome love of His!

    ReplyDelete
  4. shootingstarsmagJune 12, 2017 at 7:31 AM

    I do want to read Novak's book - the audio sounds pretty awesome. I like when people I know narrate things. :) I'm glad you have such wonderful friends in your life! I hope you're doing a bit better. Anxiety/depression is rough - I know how that can be.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica BradshawJune 12, 2017 at 8:34 AM

    Oh my gosh! I love that pennies thing!! What a great way to be grateful for small pennies I don't ever pick up, but a reminder that God has got this and a source for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you have a close friend who helps you through the rough patches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol TheAnswerIsChocolateJune 12, 2017 at 12:22 PM

    Wonderful list. In general as I get older, I am grateful for simple day to day things. Always for the major things, my own and my family's health etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that depression is creeping its way back into your life and I'm sending a few extra hugs. Sometimes we just need to know that someone is looking out for our best interest, which take me to...

    Pennies from heaven. I love this <3 I had a friend who believed strongly in signs and those were hers, often seen stacked in odd corners and places.

    I need to read that book!! Have heard such great things. I hope one day he gets married to Mindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping a gratitude journal is definitely life changing. So glad you enjoyed this post, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much, Kim. I'm so blessed to have you as a friend. :) Hope you guys get some good swimming time in this summer. It makes the hot days so much more bearable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't they great!? Too many people look for the big, miraculous acts of God and miss the little things he does for us. Hope you have a great week, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much, Lauren. Definitely read Novak's book! The paper book is awesome but there is something extra special about hearing the stories read by all those people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true. My language is butterflies and the monarchs and swallowtails are everywhere in my area. They are great reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am too! Thanks for coming by to read, San. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are all great things to be grateful for, Carol. I think it's the little day-to-day things that mean the most!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much, friend! I hope it passes quickly and it does help to know that people care. And YES! Novak and Kaling are the cutest couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The "pennies" from Heaven story is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete