Tuesday, July 11, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 14

 A conversation over coffee #coffeedates



If you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up in a little French bistro down on the corner in town and I'd order une noisette and a croissant because, when in France... We'd settle in a cozy table in front of the boutique window, listen to the accordion music playing in the background and laugh about how it reminded us of the episode of Sex and the City when Carrie was in France with Aleksandr Petrovsky and was feeding pastries to the mastiff in the café.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that July has been such a busy month for me. I've had so many projects I've been trying to finish up and family gatherings to attend and deadlines to meet and life, in general, has been crazy. I've been struggling a bit with finding balance it all. I want to slow down and savor this season, as the writing/blogging industry is notoriously quieter in the summertime, but I've also been so inspired that I feel the need to push the pedal to the metal and run while I have the inspiration and the energy.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that it's been a tough year in my little Addison's Disease community. In my online support group of just over three thousand members worldwide, we've lost fifteen members to complications of the condition this year. The most recent being a 26-year-old man, just last week. This has been difficult to deal with. We all battle with the condition in our own way and we all have different hurdles to overcome. Most days, I'm ok. I function and get through the day, but there are bad days too. When you see so many losing their fight in such a short period of time, it's hard not to feel like you have a ticking time bomb strapped to your back. Some days I feel like I'm running out of time to do what I want in life because maybe I'll be the next one. I hate to live life that way, always racing the clock, but at the same time, it's taught me to appreciate every minute I've been given.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you what you've been binge watching lately. I'd admit to you that I've been attached to Bravo the last few weeks. Below Deck Med is always on repeat, thank goodness, but my guilty pleasure has been The Real Housewives of New York. I swear, the older those women get, the crazier they get and they were pretty bonkers, to begin with, but Bethenny Frankel is my girl and she makes that show with her sarcastic wit. Can you say "role model"?

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask for your advice on how to balance a love for books and music and film and podcasts. My life revolves around books and music, so I'm always reading and listening to Spotify at all hours of the day, but I also have so many movies I want to see and I am ashamed to tell you how many podcasts I have waiting in queue. On top of that, I have a huge playlist of YouTube vlogs from some of my favorite people and I need to get through those too. The struggle is so real, guys, and now I'm wondering how we ever survived without all this electronic instant gratification back in the day. Sigh...

If you and I had coffee...

We'd finish the last bite of our pastries and get those final drops of caffeinated goodness from our mugs and head for the door. I'd give you a great big hug and thank you for coming out to see me today and I'd wish you well until we meet up again in August.


What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 14 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

39 comments:

  1. I'm watching Revenge on Netflix....SO ADDICTING

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read about your struggles with Addison and that you lost a fellow group member recently :( I don't know much about this disease but I'm sending you all my love and encouragement, my seeet friend. I'm always here if you need someone to vent to.

    I love housewives and Bethenney is my girl, too!! If I hear Luanne mention her wedding ONE MORE TIME!! Also Dorinda--she's hilarious :)

    I wish we lived closer--I'd love to grab coffee :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Lecy! Very inviting and authentic - something we can all use more of. Thank you for inviting your audience to a charming coffee date. First and foremost, I want to give you a hug for the young man who passed away in your Addison's group. Frankly, I had never heard of the disease, but had a hunch it was an auto immune disease. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I am slowly learning more about it, trying to understand what I can best do to help it, and live life with it. Second, I have been busy visiting my family for the summer in my native Iowa. I moved to Tucson a few years ago, but greatly missed my family and friends and the countryside I grew up knowing. It's been fun to spend quality time with them as well as get out and take photos of the beautiful countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, friend. <3 You're so right about Luanne. When she walked into dinner in Vermont and complained about not receiving a nicer bedroom because she was married, I wanted to die. How self-absorbed can she be? And girl, I might be up that way in the near future, so if I am, I'm definitely going to get in touch. I would LOVE to grab coffee with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comment! Autoimmune conditions can really mess your system up. Believe it or not, a lot of people who have Addison's also have Hashimoto's. The endocrine autoimmune diseases seem to run together many times. I was originally diagnosed with Hashi until my doctors did a little more digging. I'm glad you are educating yourself and learning how to manage it. So nice to visit family that we don't get to see as often as we'd like. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could find the balance of loving books, film, music and the like as well! There is never enough time for all of it. And speaking of time, I'm sorry it's been a rough stretch and I'm sorry to hear about the young man who passed away in your Addison's Group. I'm thinking of you! We've been binge watching the Office because it's classic and it's been what we've been in the mood for lately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I need twice as many hours in a day to consume all the various forms of entertainment I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh is it weird that this made me wish you were my friend so qe could meet up for that coffee date for real?
    This was so heart-warming Lecy💖 And I was so sorry to read about your struggles with Addison and that you lost a group member recently :( So sad:(
    Thank you for sharing💕💕💕
    Lindsay | www.faithfullyme.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh if we had coffee we would be talking about RHON non-stop! I mean, does Luann really think she deserves the bigger bedroom because she got married?! Too much! Can't wait for our August "coffee"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That irritate the poop out of me, lol. like settle down. You got married. You didn't cure cancer. Ugh, I can't with her.

    OMG, YES! Please do if you're in the area :) Would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite series, not only of your blog but of all blogs. It resembles the activity I love most in the world -- chatting with friends over coffee. I'd let you have the last bite of pastry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jessica BradshawJuly 11, 2017 at 2:15 PM

    I just love virtual coffee dates. It sounds like you have a great community. I can't watch the real housewives shows. I haven't been able to get in to reality TV. However, I am intrigued by the Dallas version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I'm actually sitting in the cafe talking to you when I read this post...love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am LOVING below deck med! I love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i didn't know you had addison's disease. i read up on it a bit (because i don't know much about that disease, either). my heart hurts for you. that must be terrifying. i wish i knew what words would help you here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so sweet Lindsay! It would be fun to meet for coffee in real life! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. If Luanne isn't the definition of a privileged woman, I don't know who is. It kills me how lost in their own worlds they all are. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so sweet of you! They are some of my favorite posts to write. It's always fun thinking about having coffee with a friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, I don't watch many of the other locations of Housewives, just the New York one and it's definitely not educational in any respect. Most of the time, it is a circus, but it makes my life feel a little more normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Kim! It's the next best thing to having a real coffee date with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Below Deck is my jam. I loved the first season when they were in the Caribbean, but this one is so much fun. I was all side-eyeing last week when Hannah was flirting with the primary charter guest. Wowzers!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much, Jenn. I've considered writing a post about Addison's because not a lot of people do know about it and I think it's always good to create some awareness, especially since this and other autoimmune diseases seem to be on the rise these days and the info might just save someone's life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also didn't know that you had Addison's disease and yes, you should write a post about it because I had heard of it but had to google it to refresh my memory on what it actually is.

    Oh god, I am not help when it comes to balancing books, movies, podcasts ... or any other hobbies for this matter. I constantly feel 'behind' and always have to prioritize one thing over another when I wish I could do all of it at the same time (because there is never enough time to do it all). Sigh, yeah, I am no help, but you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. shootingstarsmagJuly 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM

    I have to admit, I don't know anything about addison's disease but I'm so sorry to hear your support group lost some people. It's a nice idea to live like you're running out of time, but when you really feel that pressure, I can't imagine how though that might be.

    When it comes to juggling entertainment, I don't even know! I read books all the time so I tend to keep up with that well, but it usually means I don't watch much TV or movies and there are so many - especially shows - that I want to watch.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this post! I feel like I'm actually sitting in a little cozy cafe having a coffee with you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I might write about it. It's important to share our stories. And I feel ya! I've got over a hundred podcasts waiting to listen to and I'm pretty sure I haven't downloaded all of them yet. I hate to give anything up...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Exactly! I always have a book in hand so my reading list is getting checked off but nothing else is!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Penny @ pennyspassion.blogspotJuly 11, 2017 at 10:04 PM

    Speaking of binge watching - this weekend I bet I watched 34394839 episodes of Beach House Hunting. Jeez...I feel like I could personally direct everyone in North American to beach front property that would be perfect for their family! lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. My July has been crazy busy, too, but in all the best ways. Sending virtual hugs to your little community -- and to you as you continue your own battle with Addison's!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to admit that I'm definitely a fan of reality TV too! This summer I've been watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians all the way from the beginning. I've been thinking that my next show should be one of the Real Housewives one since I've never even seen an episode!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love these types of posts! I too am a fan of reality TV there is just something pretty addictive about it! My favorite is the Bachelor/Bachelorette.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the ones when they are looking at houses in the Caribbean and Mediterranean islands. Some of those homes are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you so much, Corey! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! Kardashians way back when people didn't really know who they were is so funny. They seemed like they were pretty normal that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I haven't seen an episode of Bachelor/Bachelorette since, I think, the second season when it was Trista and Ryan. It's so much drama now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this post! It makes me with you and I really could have coffee. Right now I'm binge watching Younger--if you haven't seen it I definitely recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I haven't seen that show but will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete