Monday, August 14, 2017

Simple Gratitude | 88

 What are you grateful for today? Stop by the blog to see what's on my #gratefulheart! #gratitude



"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr.


Good morning, lovelies. This weekend was a tough one for me. It was difficult to see chaos unfolding in Charlottesville and my heart is so heavy for the loss of life and injuries sustained as a result of it all. Virginia is my home state and Charlottesville represents some of the best of what Virginia has to offer and I hate that we now have this smear on our map because of this tragedy. This kind of hatred is not demonstrative of what Virginia stands for. There is no room for hate in my state or in this country. 

This week, I'm grateful for:
  • Love always wins. I have to remind myself that with so much hatred in the world, there is so much more love and in the end, love is more powerful and it will always win.
  • Binge-watching movies. I've been checking off everything on my to-do list recently and as a reward to myself,  I am spending my evenings turning in early and watching a movie or two. 
  • Open dialogue. If there is one positive note from all the events as of late, it is that some eyes are finally starting to open to the current state of our country and world. People are waking up and realizing that it will take all of us to make this world a better place. I can't tell you how many conversations I saw on my Facebook feed this weekend. People of all backgrounds, religions, and ethnicities are asking what they can do to make a difference and I hope there are many more conversations to come.
  • Doing scary things. I recently pitched an article idea to a publication and this was a very scary thing for me. It's not the first pitch I've made but, for the last nine months or so, I've been so inside my own head with negativity that I've talked myself out of doing this. I'd somehow convinced myself that my story wasn't worthy of being told and I've dealt with some major imposter syndrome over the last few seasons. All this is to say that I did the scary thing, the thing I was sure I could not do and it paid off. My pitch was chosen and will be featured in an upcoming magazine. More details to come.  :)
  • Conquering the water goals. I have to brag for a minute about my little devil's ivy that I've been growing on Plant Nanny. If you aren't familiar, this is an app that tracks your water consumption throughout the day and "feeds" a plant with all that water you drink. Think, minimalist version of the old school Farmville app. One of my bucket list goals was to double my daily water intake and I have done that, thanks to this little app. I'm not sponsored by them. Just wanted to share what has been working for me. 

What are you grateful for today? 

The post Simple Gratitude | 88 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

22 comments:

  1. I love this post! Thank so much for sharing:)

    irinathayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is heavy from this weekend too. Love always wins and we must cling to that. I'm excited that your pitch was chosen for the magazine! Taking chances works out well sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weekends events are heartbreaking, and I am happy to see people are having conversations now. People are waking up and seeing that things need to change. Love trumps hate. I believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened in Charlottesville is so completely heartbreaking, I feel like I'm still wrapping my head around it. It definitely hurts my heart, but you are so right, that love DOES always win and we have to keep spreading our own love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, that's an important reminder for me, in all the sadness I've been feeling - love is more powerful and will always win. Thank you for that. <3

    Also... any good movies you recommend? I'm taking a (short) break from The Killing, haha, and figured instead of starting a new series, I can watch some movies instead.

    Plant Nanny is so much fun! I downloaded it the other day after we talked about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been moving with a heavy heart since the tragedy unfolded this weekend, too. I think that we just have to keep the conversation moving and open with one another. It helps. To bridge the gap. To understand. To drive out hate. I don't think that VA now has that smear on it, OR that people assume that people who reside there are nothing but white supremacists... but I also think that incidents like this help open our eyes to the bigotry and hatred that sadly still exists in tiny pockets across the country, and the world.

    Anyway on to more happy things...

    I am SO happy that you were able to pitch to a magazine AND have them accept your writing for future publication! That's so exciting and you should feel so proud :) Can't wait to see it, and read more. Imposter syndrome... I know it well.

    XOXO and hope you have a great week, my sweet. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, Trish. I hope this brings change to the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to take some time to absorb all that has happened. Thanks for coming by today, Katie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true, Mia! I just watched The Intern with Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro. It was so good. I've also been watching a lot of older movies and musicals. I'm so glad you like Plant Nanny. It's been such a help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree, Charlotte. We definitely need to have an open conversation about the current events.
    Thank you so much! I'll share details when it gets closer to the release of the magazine. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last weekend was tough. It's hard to witness that much bigotry and hate. In Germany, these people would have been arrested. Yes, even 75 years after Nazi Germany, you still can't walk around with Nazi paraphanelia and Nazi slogans... and it's for a reason. What happened in Charlottesville was only possible because these people feel empowered and legitimized and we all have to stand up and say NO to hate and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats that your pitch was accepted! That's so awesome!

    It's so heartbreaking what happened in Virginia over the weekend. It's not just there though. It's all over the U.S. Hatred runs so deep in many, and I hate. I want more people to open their eyes to what is happening and to come together.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for doing scary things! I have been in my own head too. I can't wait hear more! And yay for more water. Thats what the world needs, more water, less hate. Why can't it be that easy! I hope you have a wonderful week friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been feeling so frustrated and sad since what happened over the weekend. I completely agree that love always wins.

    I also have been trying scary things as well. I got the courage to pitch to a magazine that I fell in love with and my article was selected to be featured in their magazine. I can't wait to read your article.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! And it is heartbreaking. I struggle with understanding how someone could be filled with so much hate that they would want to physically hurt another person. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a tough place, that negative part of our brains. Hope you have a great week, Kim! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, Emily! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read your article when it comes out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been glued to Twitter and Breaking News and CNN for the past 24 hours. Gah. So, I'm grateful for this morning where I'm going to step away for a little and just remind myself that the MAJORITY of us are sane, normal, loving people.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You and me both, girl! Twitter right now is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know it's going to be gory and horrific, but you can't look away. LOL!

    ReplyDelete