Tuesday, August 08, 2017

What I Read | July

 A look back at what I read last month. #ASGbookshelf #whatIread



It's that time again when I review all the books I read last month. I didn't get as much reading done as I would have liked because I had a lot of other things going on, but I did manage to knock out a lot of the stack I had set aside. I also re-read several books, two of which were of the Fifty series. I see you rolling your eyes and I'm with you on that. I had a friend recently try to convince me how good the books were and I promised I'd give them another read... Let's just say my opinion of them was less favorable this time around than my first go. Hehe! I'd love to know, what are you reading this month?


Must Read

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien | ★★★★★
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.


Written for J.R.R. Tolkien’s own children, The Hobbit met with instant critical acclaim when it was first published in 1937. Now recognized as a timeless classic, this introduction to the hobbit Bilbo Baggins, the wizard Gandalf, Gollum, and the spectacular world of Middle-earth recounts of the adventures of a reluctant hero, a powerful and dangerous ring, and the cruel dragon Smaug the Magnificent. The text in this 372-page paperback edition is based on that first published in Great Britain by Collins Modern Classics (1998), and includes a note on the text by Douglas A. Anderson (2001). Unforgettable! - Goodreads description

This was the first time I ever picked up a Tolkien book. I know, I'm WAY behind the times, but trust me, I'm catching up. I loved this so so much and I can't wait to jump into the other books in the series.

Noteworthy

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson | ★★★★★
Subtitle: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail stretches from Georgia to Maine and covers some of the most breathtaking terrain in America–majestic mountains, silent forests, sparking lakes. If you’re going to take a hike, it’s probably the place to go. And Bill Bryson is surely the most entertaining guide you’ll find. He introduces us to the history and ecology of the trail and to some of the other hardy (or just foolhardy) folks he meets along the way–and a couple of bears. Already a classic, A Walk in the Woods will make you long for the great outdoors (or at least a comfortable chair to sit and read in) - Goodreads description

Bryson has a way of telling stories that made me feel like I was hiking along with him. This isn't just a memoir about his trek along the length of the Appalachian Trail, but it's a lesson in the history of our national parks, the biology of the plant and wildlife native to the various regions he hikes through and it's also so funny. 

I'd recommend this one to anyone who is interested in hiking or nature, but also someone who might want to learn some more intimate details of the Appalachian Trail. I grew up right off the trail and have hiked along various spots on it, but was interested to learn facts about my own backyard that I didn't know before.

Other mentions for the month of July:
Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay (re-read)  | ★★★★★
Lights Out by Ted Koppel  | ★★★★
Forgotten by Nicole Trope  | ★★★★
The Truth We Bury by Barbara Taylor Sissel  | ★★★★
The Intercept by Dick Wolf  | ★★★★
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain  | ★★★★
Me Before You by JoJo Moyes  | ★★★☆☆
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy  | ★★★
The Secrets of Married Women by Carol Mason  | ★★★☆☆
Grey by E.L. James (re-read)  | ★★★☆☆
One Summer by David Baldacci  | ★★☆☆☆
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James (re-read)  | ★★☆☆
P.S. I rate and/or review all the books I read on Goodreads. Are we friends there yet?

What did you enjoy reading last month?

The post What I Read | July first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

4 comments:

  1. A Walk in the Woods is one of my favorite books! I love Bill Bryson. I have an old beat up copy somewhere on my shelf, now I need to re-read it. :) Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so entertaining! It was not what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reviews... I noticed that you only gave 3 starts to Me Before You... was it too hyped up for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave that book 3 stars because I found it very predictable. As soon as Louisa set foot in Will's house, I knew how things would end up and once you learn about his ultimate plan, I knew how it would the book would end. It was entertaining but I like books that keep me guessing. :)

    ReplyDelete