Wednesday, October 11, 2017

If You and I Had Coffee | vol 17

Join me for a conversation over coffee? #coffeedates



If you and I had coffee...

We'd meet up on my back deck because it still feels like summer outside and the trees have only just started to change from their greens to the rich goldens, crimsons and oranges of fall. I'd kick my feet up on the wrought iron glider and sip on my frozen PSL - the ONLY one I will have this year. I'd tell you that I've never been a big fan of the trendy drinks at Starbucks but I grant myself one treat a year.


If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you what your favorite Halloween treat is. I'd tell you that I love candy corn even though it is purely high fructose corn syrup and that I have to limit myself to just a few. I'd also tell you that I have a nostalgic favorite that reminds me of going trick-or-treating in my grandparents' neighborhood when I was a kid. In addition to the residents giving out candy, the little town center also did an event and there was a Chinese food place that always gave away those little honey sesame candies and those are my ultimate favorite.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd mention (while we are on the topic of treats) that I'm hosting the 2017 Holiday Cookie Swap for bloggers who want to swap our favorite cookie recipes. I'd tell you that it will take place on November 30th and I'm super excited because there are so many people who are interested in participating and there is still room for more to join. I've yet to figure out which recipe I will be sharing, but it has been fun to see what everyone else is planning. It's going to be a yummy holiday season!

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that I'm in the process of writing my first children's book. It's something I've always wanted to do and it's on my 101 in 1001 bucket list so I'm checking that off before the year ends. I'm beginning to think about the process of searching for illustrators for this project and there are quite a few whose work I adore but I'm not sure which direction I want to go to set the tone for this particular story. I'd ask you if there is something that is on your bucket list that you can accomplish before the year is done and then I'd encourage you to go for it. There is no time like the present to tackle a goal. :)

If you and I had coffee...

I'd tell you that there have been two words on my heart recently. "Say yes." Too often in my life, I've said "no" for so many reasons. Sometimes I've been afraid to step out of my comfort zone or of being vulnerable. Or it's because I've been selfish and don't want to give freely of myself. I'd tell you that God has been nudging me to open up to new opportunities and say "yes" to them and even though I'm a little anxious about what I'll get myself into, I am letting go and trusting Him to take the wheel.

If you and I had coffee...

I'd ask you how you decide when it's time to tell your hard stories or whether to tell them at all. I'm struggling with the idea of sharing mine and how to go about them without making them out to be self-indulgent or seem like a cry for attention. I'd tell you that I have words trapped inside me that I know could be encouraging to others but I'm both afraid and hesitant to share because I'd be opening myself up to criticism and judgment and those are scary things.

If you and I had coffee...
We'd sip the last of our drinks and savor the unseasonably warm weather. I'd end our date with a hug and a promise to plan another one soon. Then I'd laugh and ask you how on earth it could be Thanksgiving next month - especially since it feels like we are still in July!

What would you like to chat about over coffee?

Today, I'm joining Erin for a monthly coffee date linkup. Every second week of the month, we gather together with our favorite hot beverages and catch up. Care to join us?

The post If You and I Had Coffee | vol 17 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

25 comments:

  1. Oh I love this so much, Lecy, and so wish that you and I could have coffee because I feel we’d never run out of things to say, but we’d also know how to sit back and just enjoy and breathe in the moment <3

    I love those sesame treats, I also love candy corn and indulge in a few every now and then because life is too short and none of those things killed me as a kid :)

    And I’d love to encourage you to open up and share your story when ready. Though I understand that some things are painful and extra difficult to open up to the world. But I’m here if you want to share your words is all I’m saying :) also I’m about to share something this morning and have similar feelings about it. Eeep!

    Anyway always a pleasure and wishing you only the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tell you that I enjoy candy corn too! But like you I limit myself on how much I can have. I'd also tell you that my favorite Halloween candy is Kit Kats. And then I'd tell you I'm excited to hear more about your children's book! I'd tell you I have no good answers about the hard stories, but I'd advise you to write what is on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts! That's great that you are finally writing your children's book. I really need to get back into the groove with my own book; it's YA so it will take longer, but I have the very beginning started!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Good point about the candy corn. I might go have a few right now just because of your theory. ;p

    We would have lovely coffee dates, my friend. I'm sad that I live so far away from many of you but if ever given the chance to meet up in real life, I'd jump on it!

    I saw your post on Facebook this morning and will be hopping over to read soon. Hugs to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kit Kats are really good. I remember eating them in layers when I was a kid and come to think of it, I might still do that. :) And thanks for the advice, sweet friend. It's always difficult to know when to share personal things and when it's best to keep them to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I can't wait to hear more about your YA book! It's hard to get over that first hump, but I find that once you lay down the groundwork, it's easier to keep plowing away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of your Christmas cookie swap! So fun! And I would LOVE to sit on that deck! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'd love to have you join the cookie swap if you're interested! And the deck is perfect for coffee dates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. favorite halloween treattt hmmm... i honestly don't know! I like old school candy but then again a candy apple is always festive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy apples are so good! I also like the gourmet chocolate apples. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I'm struggling with the idea of sharing mine and how to go about them without making them out to be self-indulgent or seem like a cry for attention."

    At nearly 50, I'm not struggling anymore. Creative people can't listen to what other people are saying. We just have to do it. I have asked myself if I will regret not leaving a legacy of words behind. I would. Definitely. So I'm writing it. That's what the entire winter is about. I'm putting away my paint and I'm writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes so much sense. I needed this encouragement, Renee. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are adorable. You are exactly the kind of person I seek as a friend.

    I hope you pursue your children's book and, even more, I hope you open up on the important stuff brewing inside you. It's not self-indulgent to be candid about one's life-experiences and lessons learned. Like you, I used to be reticent about mine but found sharing them creates unexpected benefits as people react in positive ways. Finally, I encourage you to say yes to opportunities. That way growth lies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like you should allow yourself to release all your stories and share all your feelings. I can guarantee that you will impact people in a positive way. And anyone who feels like you're "seeking attention" or being self-indulgent can move right along. Because this is your space. Not theirs. And if they have an issue with it, they don't need to keep coming back. <3

    I'll be sticking around when you decide to take the leap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so sweet and thank you for the encouragement, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so right, Divya, and thank you for the encouragement. I'm lucky to have you, friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. A children's book! That's so exciting - can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, a children's book! That sounds so exciting! Good for you... can't wait to hear more about it.

    And the, about telling hard stories...I always encourage others to tell theirs (and I will encourage you as well), but yeah, I have my own hard story that I am not (yet?) comfortable sharing. It is hard to put all the feelings out there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful post, I could see a book written in this style. And makes me miss friends to drink coffee with!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Kate! Hope you are having a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's hard to make the decision to cross over that line and share something so personal. I hope you will know when/if it's the right time to share yours. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Amanda! I miss my coffee friends too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How exciting, a children's book!? That's fantastic hun. :)
    I love these coffee posts that people do; I think they're fun to read.
    It's finally fall here and the leaves are changing, it's quite pretty. It gets pretty chilly in the mornings and evenings now, too.

    I have stories like many others do too and waiver if there ever worth sharing or if I have the guts to put myself out there like that, too. *hugs*
    Happy Friday love. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Send some of that fall down my way, will you? Our peak foliage change should have been last week, so we are nearly a month behind. I fear we will still have leaves on the trees come the holidays. Hope you have a great weekend, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete