Monday, November 13, 2017

Simple Gratitude | 98

Today I'm sharing my #gratefulheart on the blog #gratitude #feelingthankful



"The human spirit lives on creativity and dies in conformity and routine." - Vilayat Inayat Khan

The other day, I got to thinking about routines. It seems that for all of time, people have been obsessed with routines and rituals. If you Google the word "routine," you'll stumble on thousands of blog posts and YouTube videos featuring someone's routine - morning, nighttime, skincare, makeup, healthy eating, yoga, HIIT... You name it and you can find it. And I'm guilty of it too. I can't help but wonder why we favor routine over spontaneity and creativity? Shouldn't we encourage a little improvisation in our lives?

Just a curious thought I leave you with on this Monday morning...

This week, I'm grateful for:
  • A woman named Natalie Franke. She's a photographer, the leader of The Rising Tide Society, and an all-around amazing chick, and this morning, she is undergoing neurosurgery to have a benign brain tumor removed. I'm so grateful for her and the inspiration and encouragement she has shared and today, I'm sending a prayer up that her surgery is successful and recovery is speedy.
  • NaNoWriMo inspiration. I was watching something this weekend and was hit with an idea for a story that I want to write. It's perfectly ok to start over in the middle of National Novel Writing Month, right?
  • My baby brother making me feel really old. He turned 19 this week. I was in college when he was born. (I'll let you do the math.) Even though I am feeling ancient, I'm grateful that my parents surprised us kids with a new addition all those years ago.
  • The sound of autumn wind and rain. I so love being in bed and listening to a fall storm out my window. It makes me want to snuggle up under my covers and stay there until spring.
  • Answered prayers. I don't want to go into specifics, but I'm thankful for things moving in the right direction in this area of my life.

What are you grateful for today? 

The post Simple Gratitude | 98 first appeared on A Simpler Grace. If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends!

16 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard of Natalie but will be sending her some thoughts and prayers her way today ❤️

    I think it’s wonderful you are participating in this writing challenge this month and I do t see why you can’t switch gears once you’ve started :) let your muses be your guide!

    Happy birthday to your baby brother and I loved be a good autumn storm, too. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a routine person, but you're right, improv isn't a bad idea either! I haven't heard of Natalie, but Ill be thinking of her! Happy birthday to your brother and yay for answered prayers! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with routine. I want to say I have one, but I don't know that I really do. I just kind of go with the flow lately. Maybe that's not such a bad thing? Many prayers to Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I'm grateful for the fact that this weekend I had time to just be. It's been a long time since I did it - and I didn't feel guilty once. Happy Birthday to your brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy for your story idea - and for answered prayers!! Happy birthday to your brother. :)

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got an update that her surgery went well, so thanks for the thoughts and prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's good to be a healthy mix between planner and improvisation. :) Thanks for sending your sweet thoughts to Natalie. I got an update this morning that her surgery went well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's good to have a healthy mix of routine and going with the flow. Thanks for the prayers for Natalie. The latest update from this morning was that her surgery went well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to have some time to enjoy some peace and quiet. Never feel guilty for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Lauren! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love having siblings. I wish that I had more kids for Jake to have that bond too.
    As for your answered prayers....happy to hear... xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. My siblings drive me crazy but dang I love them! My little brother will hopefully be visiting next week with his family. I haven't met his two youngest kids yet and Im beyond excited. Rain and sleep just go together perfectly :) . Hope you are having a wonderful day so far!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you have a baby brother :) although I get that he might make you feel old (but you're not, really not!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is nice to have siblings. I always said I got to grow up with my best friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited that you'll be seeing your brother and his family next week! Yay for the holidays bringing families together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I lovingly call him my baby brother but he is about a foot taller than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete